Importance of exhaust flaps 4.3?

lr3guyjoe

Seaman
So I just got done fixing the shifter linkage in the gimbal and Drive unit. While I had it apart I found a piece of the exhaust flap from one of the exhaust headers down by the shifter rod in the exhaust exit.

How important are these for operation? I’d really like to take the boat down to the water tomorrow and put around a bit to make sure everything works before I decide to spend any more time or money on it.

would I be safe doing a little trial run without one of the flaps installed?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The exhaust shutters are very important in trying to mitigate the ingress of water into the exhaust manifolds, and then into the cylinders.

To run without the shutters, I would consider a few things. Rough water? how far between the top of the y-pipe and the outside water level? Are you considering doing any 'fast stops'? Also consider, if this is a test run with an engine of unknown condition, a fast stop may occur without you really planing it. :D

If the shutters weren't really needed, Merc wouldn't have put them in. They aren't that expensive, and could save your engine from an internal water bath. Put them in.

Chris.......