5.7 Thunderbolt Tune Up

DRVince

Recruit
Good morning. We are new to boat ownership as of late last season. We inherited and old family boat. Looking to perform a tune up on our 5.7, 4 barrel with the Thunderbolt ignition.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... What vintage,..?? That package has been in production for over 30 years,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

if you are asking for help, please help us help you.

first, exactly what year Mercruiser at an absolute minimum. the 5.7 has been available in Mercruisers for over 6 decades and there have been many many variations along the way.

second, please provide serial numbers. it helps many of us narrow down specifically what you have

Third, ask questions, specific to what you are trying to do or find information for.

your "looking to perform......" is sort of a nebulous statement. not sure if you are looking for assistance or simply making a statement like "I had a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch" like people on social media like to do

DRVince

Recruit
Evening, I apologize for the delay. Thank you to those for the warm welcome.

I accidentally posted that not familiar with the complete operation of the page prior to including all the necessary info. Wasn’t sure how to retract it if possible.

Looking to perform a complete tune up. I rebuilt the carb last year, seems okay. On a cold start I’ll give two pumps and she fires right up. After we stop for a bit the pumps doesn't seem to help, takes a few cranks to start. I understand it’s a carb and not EFI. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would also welcome advice on an oil change and locating a service manual.

I am unable to upload a photo of motor info plate.

Engine: OD717428
Transom: OE097319
Drive: OD551490

Thank you.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Here are the tune specs. Perform them just as you would on a car engine. .. Engine oil and filter change is just like a car... The one thing, the dipstick tube goes right to the bottom of the oil pan, you can suck the (hot) old oil out through that tube. Or just drop the drain plug, then clean up the mess in the bilge.

Chris........

5.7 spec.JPG

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Evening, I apologize for the delay. Thank you to those for the warm welcome.

I accidentally posted that not familiar with the complete operation of the page prior to including all the necessary info. Wasn’t sure how to retract it if possible.

Looking to perform a complete tune up. I rebuilt the carb last year, seems okay. On a cold start I’ll give two pumps and she fires right up. After we stop for a bit the pumps doesn't seem to help, takes a few cranks to start. I understand it’s a carb and not EFI. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I would also welcome advice on an oil change and locating a service manual.

I am unable to upload a photo of motor info plate.

Engine: OD717428
Transom: OE097319
Drive: OD551490

Thank you.

Mine needs a couple of pumps on the throttle to cold start, too, but it doesn't like those extra pumps when the engine is warmed up. I just hit the ignition and off she goes. Just wondering if the warm start with pumps is putting too much gas in there...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
About finding manuals. You can go online and use the manuals at www.boatinfo.no for free. They are the actual service manuals. There are several places that sell the hard copy paper manuals. And sometimes you can find someone who has a link to the one you want as a PDF they will share.

Using the Mercruiser Service manuals is the only way to DIY maintain your motor and drive. Do not get any after market kludged together manual, they frankly aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Also spend some time in the Adults Only section of the Merc forum. It is an invaluable resource.