94 mercruiser 3.0 overheated then found oil is dry

Ryangio72

Cadet
Hi,
i made the mistake of taking my boat in the water while the muffs were still on and didn’t notice till i took the boat out. I believe that I overheated my motor. But after i was still able to run it with no problems. Today i found that my oil is dry and there is not much evidence under the motor. And clue where to start troubleshooting?

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

I had an unfortunate incident with a set of 'muffs' this season as well. :rolleyes:

What makes you believe that you over heated the engine? Details would be helpful . . . How long did you run the engine with little/no water being supplied because of the muffs?

How long after the over heating incident were you able to run the engine and under what conditions (muffs or out on the water)?

"oil is dry" meaning not showing on the dip stick? . . . When was the last time you checked the oil level? Are you saying that you see no evidence of oil leaking into the bilge?

Any other background that would be relevant? Is the engine/boat new-to-you?

Ryangio72

Cadet
I’m not 100% that i overheated however when i had it out on the water probably for an hour that day i did notice less power. I had it running in my driveway on muffs for probably 20 the day after. Then was going to take it out last night and found my oil was dry before starting. By dry i mine very little on the dip stick. And the only oil drip i see is around the head gasket.

Bondo

Staff member
I believe that I overheated my motor.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Change the impeller, might wanta go with the full impeller Kit,....

By dry i mine very little on the dip stick.

So dump in a couple quarts,....

Ryangio72

Cadet
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,..... Change the impeller, might wanta go with the full impeller Kit,....

So dump in a couple quarts,....

By full impeller are you referring to mercruiser part # [h=1]817275Q05?[/h]

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Donno the part number, but the kit with the impeller, gaskets, 'n housings,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... That's yer call,..... I see no reason to suspect it as a problem,....