Merc 4.3L MPI Overheated on Driveway

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I never go to the lake without first checking things on muffs. There is no way to know if the impeller is pumping water until your engine gets hot enough to smoke when you are lake testing. You need to get over the fears and do the testing right. Fire up water, fire up engine, stand in back and watch for water out the bypass holes. Take the drive in and out of forward and reverse. Watch the motor come up to temp and stay there. THEN, go boating.

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe a dumb question. Do i top up the gear lube tank inside the motor compartment after I pump it in from the bottom drive?
i assume yes as the tank was full before but now is empty?

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice
I never go to the lake without first checking things on muffs. There is no way to know if the impeller is pumping water until your engine gets hot enough to smoke when you are lake testing. You need to get over the fears and do the testing right. Fire up water, fire up engine, stand in back and watch for water out the bypass holes. Take the drive in and out of forward and reverse. Watch the motor come up to temp and stay there. THEN, go boating.

Fair points for sure. I'm going to go buy new muffs and give it a go. My current set is really old

What is ideal operating temp?
Assume if it shoots over that shut her down ASAP even if alarm hasn't gone off?

alldodge

Staff member
Maybe a dumb question. Do i top up the gear lube tank inside the motor compartment after I pump it in from the bottom drive?
i assume yes as the tank was full before but now is empty?

Yes, without the upper removed the bottle will slowly drain out.

You did pump the lube in from the bottom to top, right?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
With open cooling the cooling system has no pressure. Bubbles form in water on surfaces inside the motor between 170 and 180ƒ (depending on altitude). Those bubbles prevent efficient transfer of heat from the metal to the water. Best temperatures with open cooling is under 170, I run mine at 150 since everything I run at is over 2000 ft ASL..

Safe operating temperature is higher as the motor is designed to run over 200 with a pressurized cooling system. As well, antifreeze raises the boiling temperature of water. And the fuel burns more efficient up there as well. Another reason to own closed cooling :^) But once you get up over 190ƒ the plain water in the cooling system will be boiling in places, causing bubbles and steam and preventing efficient cooling.

I don't have an alarm on my older boat. I would hope to be paying attention and see if idling, or running at a little higher rpm would resolve the overheat. For me, if I see over 170 I am going to sit up and take notice, but I'm not going to shutdown until I take a couple minutes to figure it out. If possible. On the water, possible reasons to overheat are many, most common is picking up something like a plastic bag that covers the intake ports.

Sirovc2

Seaman Apprentice
New muffs, ran water, fired her up and looks good to me. Good water flow, forward works, reverse works. Ran for 7 mins and temp gauge barely moved. Think I'm good to go?
Have a peak at the video if anyone doesn't mind....

https://youtu.be/kD2qDXQHths

Many thanks again.

​​​​

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Don't run the engine with the drive trimmed up like that. Stresses the uni joints (yes, even in neutral!)

Chris.............