Issue after coupler install

JBC118

Seaman
Hello, I’ve got an 88 Marlin w 4.3 Alpha 1....
Had a guy replace my coupler recently which went well aside from the following issue..
I lost power to my bilge pump, exhaust fan, trim gauge, gas gauge, and stern and bow lights...
The mechanic is an hour plus away and he tried to describe what he may have failed to reattach after the engine pull/reinstall..
He thought it was maybe a smaller wire from the battery to those accessories, after a while of searching I can’t find anything that looks relevant...
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated, thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Look for a Ground wire, even negative battery cable to the engine block

JBC118

Seaman
The negative battery to the block is secure, I have good power to start the boat, trim works as it should...
I thought it would be obvious but no such luck

alldodge

Staff member
Boat will start, thats good to know

Look over by the starter connections for a wire not connected

Your accessories are not working. The trim gauge has a connection which would be near the trim pump, there are 2 wires with bullet connectors. One goes to ground and other connects to Brown/White which goes to gauge

See how many wires are on the 90 fuse on the starter

90 amp fuse.jpgStarter connect.jpg

JBC118

Seaman
Ok I’ll look at the starter, one other weird thing is that when I flip either the bilge pump or exhaust fan switches the goggles are illuminated (both toggles) but no power to either device

alldodge

Staff member
A ground is disconnected, when fan is turned on its back feeding to get a ground.

JBC118

Seaman
Ok any idea which? Or where I should start? Or which ground would typically be removed for an engine pull?

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to know for sure, but since he only removed/installed the motor, there would be no reason to get behind the helm. It has to be by the motor somewhere

There is more then one wire which is connected at the engine block with the negative cable, or on the other side of the block at the rear.

Your motor fires up and all those gauges work fine. Gas does not, but gas isn't connected to the motor

harringtondav

Commander
From memory when I R&R'd my 4.3. There are two grounds connected to the flywheel cover lower cap screws. On left/port is a continuity ground connecting transom assembly to the engine. Verify this is connected. It's important. The second was behind the starter. I think this was also a battery ground to engine block. If disconnected it could be your problem.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Follow the negative battery cable to the motor. It will be bolted to the flywheel housing in most cases. Unbolt it and use a wire brush to make it perfectly clean and bright. Then make the motor side and the bolt clean and bright.

On my boat the hydraulic pump motor has its own power wire and ground direct from the battery. The solenoids on the pump are connected to the regular power system. Every boat has its own accessory wiring methods, so no one can tell you exactly where everything is.

JBC118

Seaman
It appears that basically nothing is working right other than the starter , trim pump and speedo...
it has to be something simple but it’s eluding me...
if the main ground from the battery to the block was corroded or loose the starter wouldn’t turn correct?

alldodge

Staff member
Pull the 10 pin connector apart and check pins. You have a the main power (Red/Purple) and Ground (Black) and the pins may not be connecting properly

If there good your back to looking from what's disconnected

Many boats have extra wires attached to Neg/Pos terminals which feed everything

Mine has an extra Pos cable coming off battery switch that feeds electronics, also extra Neg off bass bar