Inatalling Sierra 18-5297 Points conversion kit

tommr

Seaman
I am finally getting around to installing the conversion kit to do away with points.
I have the kit and most of the instructions seem straight forward but there are several issues.
1. No locking nuts included but I am fairly sure I can come up with something.
2. No Plastic feeler gauge included but I assume any 0.030 feeler gauge will work.
3. The cap needs the slot to be filed? A assume this is because the new grommet is larger.
4.I have no Idea if there is a ballast resistor on this thing. 4 cyl 120 hp merc.
A lot of nerve my go to guy up and left town.

Bondo

Staff member
A lot of nerve my go to guy up and left town.

Ayuh,....... Donno that kit,...... Lockin' nuts for What,..??..??

.030" is .030", plastic or metal don't matter,......

I question whether you have the right kit, I've never had to file a bigger slot in a cap,......

I doubt there's a ballast resistor, but it should have a resistor wire, the purple one to the coil's (+) terminal,.....
Check the voltage, 12v, battery voltage,............. or less, if it's resisted,....

'n my phone number hasn't changed,........ ;)

tommr

Seaman
Thanks for the reply. Tried to call you a month ago and it just went dead.
I guess with the filing they want you to make the space where the wires go out, the rubber grommet, a little bigger so the wires don't get pinched. It is written in all caps and bold in the instructions. 2 wires vs 1.
The locking nuts are for the sending unit which goes on the plate. The old plate comes out and the new one goes in, but not before you break the old rotor off as it is frozen on with rust. The sending unit bolts to the plate and it has a little play so I guess 0.030 is the sweet spot. I have a narrow feeler gauge that fits in cause its a tight circle and a wider gauge would not fit.
Anyway I ended up sanding off a shade on the bottom of the new rotor as the magnet takes up a little space on top of the distributor drive and the new cap would no go down easily with out forcing.
Anyway 2 wires to to the coil and Phyllis bumped it over to locate the closest spot. Then we buttoned it up and it started right off. I think tomorrow we will check the timing but as it is she is running smooth at least.
Hope you are settling in OK.

Bondo

Staff member
Tried to call you a month ago and it just went dead.

Ayuh,..... I mighta been on the backside of a mountain, runnin' a goat trail, 'tween there, 'n here at the time,...... Donno,....

I got a new phone, same number,..... 'n I know it works, as some chinese lady keeps callin' me, tellin' me my SS account has been suspended for suspicious activities,.....
I think I liked Rachel, from card member services better,...... :rolleyes:

Settlin' in nicely,..... No walleyes to fish for, but the brine is 'bout 30 miles away, 'n the fish there get very Big, 'n can bite back,......