1994 Mercruiser alternator v-belt replacement

imhuntsm

Cadet
I have a 1994 Mercruiser 5.0L SN OF265758 and had the v-belt for the alternator break while out on the water today. I am wondering what the process is to replace this. It looks like the alternator is on a bracket that will allow it to rotate to release the tension on the belt. The power steering pump appears to have the same option. Is this the correct way to do this, or am I wrong?

Do both the alternator and the power steering v-belts contribute to running the water pump?

alldodge

Staff member
Do both the alternator and the power steering v-belts contribute to running the water pump?

For the most part yes.
Need to remove all the belts in front of the ALT belt so it can be put on first.

ALT and power steering is adjustable to tighten belt. The sea water pump has a tensioner

Suggest since the ALT broke its probably time to replace all of them

achris

More fish than mountain goat
And buy your new ones from a car parts shop, NOT Mercury. Same belt, different price!

Chris.....

imhuntsm

Cadet
So I went out and purchased a 44” belt which I thought was the appropriate size but it was too small. I can’t seem to find many references to my specific motor which has two separate belts, one which powers the alternator and one which goes to power steering pump (both wrap around the water pump). Any input on what size belt I need?