Power Trim Motor No Up/Down 2006 MerCruiser

goldbeck09

Cadet
Hey All,

My Power Trim was working before I winterized-- and just went to start the boat up and tested the trim with no luck -- just hearing multiple click click click noises. The trim is currently all the way up, so it is hard to tell if the UP would work. The down definitely does not work.Initially there were multiple clicks, but now I am down to a single click when I press the trim buttons for both up and down.

I have the pump where there is a green, blue, black wire with two solenoids.

Here are the checks I've done so far:
- Main engine starts up
- All electronics on boat start up (radio, fish finders, etc...)
- Kicker motor starts up and tilt/trim works fine, however the electric start is not working here (I don't think this would be related to my PTT issue, but thought I'd mention it as it was working before I winterized as well).
- Tested batteries with a multi-meter and they registered ~12.7 volts ...

I disconnected the PTT from the boat and tested it in on the driveway by hooking up the power trim motor to jumpers and tested the up/down ...seems to work (spit out fluid from each connection)

I replaced both solenoids.

Still just getting 1 single click when pressing up/down trim on boat.

Any thoughts on how else to attack this?

Thanks everyone!

goldbeck09

Cadet
clean the cables

Hey Scott,

I cleaned cables with a small wire brush and WD-40. Seemed to make them look better and cleaner. No luck getting it to work. Would you recommend another method of cleaning to ensure a real fine cleaning?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
trim is currently all the way up,

Main engine starts up

That's hard on the drive

On the trim motor, jump from the Red to Green/White on the relay (down) and Red to Blue/white (up). If it works this way check for voltage passing thru the connector from trim pump to throttle handle switches.

goldbeck09

Cadet
That's hard on the drive

On the trim motor, jump from the Red to Green/White on the relay (down) and Red to Blue/white (up). If it works this way check for voltage passing thru the connector from trim pump to throttle handle switches.

It is hard on the drive when you start with the trim all the way up? Good to know!

Thanks for the suggestion - but I think I already did that exercise of testing the motor. I connected my car's battery to the motor...Motor turned on with some fun sparks and spit out ATF when connecting the red jumper cable to the Green and Blue wires.

Could you help even further by explaining a little more detail how to test the throttle handle switches? Is this using a multi-meter? When testing this, is the entire motor pump re-assembled to all connections? When I press the throttle switch up/down, doesn't the clicking noise signify that the throttle switch is sending voltage?

Thank you!

alldodge

Staff member
The 3 wire connector

fetch

goldbeck09

Cadet
Thanks everyone for your help. I am still stuck trying to find a solution. I've tried all the solutions possible in this thread plus some other tips/tricks... I am attaching a link to a video I uploaded through YouTube. Hope this helps illustrate the noises. The first 15 seconds is "down"...and then I also show a clip for "Up" to compare the difference.

a small correction...when pressing "down" it does move the trim down, however at a snails pace.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm assuming your pressing the throttle handle buttons and up is not working, which means power is not making it to the pump.

Since down works and up does not, it could be the trim limit switch

The drawing above note the Blue/White and the Purple/White wires that connect to the limit switch which is mounted on the port side of the gimbal ring.

The wires your looking for are near the trim pump. Find them and connect them together then see if up works.

You should also have a trailer switch, the trailer switch bypasses the limit and should bring the drive up

goldbeck09

Cadet
I'm assuming your pressing the throttle handle buttons and up is not working, which means power is not making it to the pump.

Since down works and up does not, it could be the trim limit switch

The drawing above note the Blue/White and the Purple/White wires that connect to the limit switch which is mounted on the port side of the gimbal ring.

The wires your looking for are near the trim pump. Find them and connect them together then see if up works.

You should also have a trailer switch, the trailer switch bypasses the limit and should bring the drive up

Thanks for the reply! Yes, in the video I am using the throttle handle for up/down trim. UP actually works great like a charm. It is just down that is giving me trouble. Up goes up at a normal speed, while down makes that horrible sound and goes VERY slow... Thanks for the advice on trailer switch and limit switch -- ill read into that and see if it helps!

alldodge

Staff member
while down makes that horrible sound and goes VERY slow.

Its now moving up and down but down doesn't sound good and it moves slowly

Moving slow may just be the cylinders need to be rebuilt. The packing can get hard and stiff and cause it to bind. It moves up faster because the hydraulic pressure from the pump is higher going up then down