1992 305 mercruiser wont start.

Had it running when I first bought it. Its a 302 carburated..did a tune up on it ran for a good 5 minutes stalled out. It turns over but wont start back up. Previous owner says it sat since 2014 winterized. I flushed it out started up easily enough. Im thinking its the carb... Idk maybe bad gas but seems like it should run like crap with bad gas still. Been a month messing with it need advice. Im not the best at descriptions so ask me if you need to know will do my best. Thanks !

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Merc hasn't used a Ford motor since the '70s, so what do you really have,..??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1992 bayliner most likely has an OMC in it. which would have had ford power.

bad gas is just that, bad gas.

pull the carb, tear it down, clean out the crud and rebuild it.

you should also clean out the tank, anti-siphon valve, etc.

Thanks guys. Its a bayliner yes. And I rebuilt the carb over night. It wasnt too bad gummed up. Changed the anti syphon and im still having the same problem. Trying to wrap.my head around it.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there is a strainer in the bottom of the tank tube that the ASV screws into.

did you clean the tank? 4 year old fuel was no longer fuel.

Im assuming by clean the tank you mean to suck all the old gas out? Im not sure how much is even in it but can easily syphon it. I noticed the carb does drip a bit of gas after the key is off as well.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
not only remove the old sludge, however pulling the inspection cover, removing the sender from the tank and pressure washing the inside of the tank if need be.

here is a bit of reading 9see post #7) https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...ng-internal-fuel-tank?p=10294848#post10294848

the carb dripping is another issue. that is an explosion waiting to happen. needs to be addressed. not sure of the brand of carb because you have not stated, nor have you confirmed OMC vs Mercruiser. if its a Rochester or Rochester clone, check the welsh plugs

if its a holley, check the needle and seat, as well as the power valve

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Not Ford, looks like the 5.7 or 4.3 GM motor gas tank is around 30-40 gal

Yeah its a 2 barrel. If its not a ford where can I look for a stamp on it to give me the exact make? The original owner was in his late 80s and gave me all this info on it when I bought it and from what you guys are telling me its incorrect

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
just above the starter should be a aluminum tag with serial numbers

Thanks again. I found a stamp onnthe intake. It is a 305 5.0. So all the info I have is incorrect. Feel foolish. But we all gotta learn some how. Anyways. I cleaned thuroughly each gas line. All of the tank. Emptied it all out of the bad gas. The carb is drippin less. Im thinking maybe a new float maybe copper? Any advice would help.

Well i knew it wasnt a v6. The issue us still the same. The gm stamp was not visible due to a cover that was placed on it. But as you see its removed. All of the info I had on this boat has been incorrect until I personally took the cover off. Im really looking for helpful tips on how to get it running again. It ran last week. For maybe 5 minutes. I listed everything ive done to it thus far. I did get a look at the outdrive. The bellows need to be replaced easy fix. But the carb is my main concern im not familiar with it. Ive had 2 other inboards but this ones having problems ive not seen.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
So we now know it's a 5 litre GM V8, supplied by Mercruiser. (I'll edit the title to reflect that)

Have you determined that you have spark? That would be the first thing to do. Yes it ran for 5 minutes, then died. Test for spark. You're looking for a spark that is healthy (strong and blue) that will jump a minimum of 1/2".

As already said, 4 year old fuel isn't fuel enough longer, and no, if it's gone sour it won't run 'like crap', it just won't run, period.

Fuel dripping form the carb.... You need to pull the carb, strip it down and leave it soaking in carb cleaner overnight. Next day, blow it all out, passages included, with compressed air, around 60psi. Then re-assembly following the instruction in the manual. You have the manual, right? (not a seloc or clymer kneepad, the proper Merc factory manual. Probably #15)...

As the fuel was sitting 4 years, I'd also be cleaning out the tank, the line from the tank to the filter, replacing the filter, and stripping and cleaning the fuel pump. ie, ALL of the fuel system. I would do those items while the carb was soaking in the cleaner.

You may find an engine serial number on the cover that was on top of the carb. If not there, a small aluminium tag on the engine block just above the starter motor, starboard side.

Chris.......

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks again. I found a stamp onnthe intake. It is a 305 5.0. So all the info I have is incorrect. Feel foolish. But we all gotta learn some how. Anyways. I cleaned thuroughly each gas line. All of the tank. Emptied it all out of the bad gas. The carb is drippin less. Im thinking maybe a new float maybe copper? Any advice would help.

No, you get the proper kit.

most likely nothing wrong with your float, however your needle and seat may be FUBAR.

pull the carb apart as many have stated.