Mercruiser alignment issues

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
What type of front motor mounts ? What are those mounts setting on ? Are u hand barring motor over or starter , with plugs out ? With this much trouble , finding problem. Heck bolt dial indicator to floor of boat. Turn over motor with starter and see if motor might be pulling front mounting bolts up and hanging. Just a thought.

Motor mounts new MC. Bravo inner plate is like new. Mounts are setting on solid glass/wood. Trust me. New transom. Plugs out when turning over. Magnetic stand for dial indicator. Problem is in coupler. I ordered new one! THX!!!!

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I have ordered new coupler. But, Is there any way to test a new one for being out of round, with out mounting it on flywheel and spinning over motor with dial indicator on it? I'd like to test new one just to be sure. I honestly don't know how other than the above.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know another way outside of a lathe.

I you have another drive shaft, place shaft in coupler and rotate shaft measuring rear of coupler. Going to be slop doing it that way. Maybe outside mic large enough to measure from rear of coupler to front edge

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Don't know another way outside of a lathe.

I you have another drive shaft, place shaft in coupler and rotate shaft measuring rear of coupler. Going to be slop doing it that way. Maybe outside mic large enough to measure from rear of coupler to front edge

I might be able to fabricate a longer shaft for dial indicator. But I was hoping for a quicker test. THX!