3.0 riser gasket, which one?

jtsvette

Cadet
So I'm changing the riser gasket and bellows on my 2001 3.0 #0L972179. I've noticed there are two different gaskets, one paper like and the other graphite. The one that was on it, which I believe to be the original, is black paper like. Which one is the better one to use? A'm I to use some type of gasket sealant on either type if any? The fresh water only manifold and riser are both good, 1/4" of cast iron on both. Comments, opinions and thoughts appreciated.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
For ELBOW gaskets, use only Merc genuine. Aftermarket gaskets tend to leak. And that serial number is your drive, not the engine.

Merc part number to the elbow gasket is 27-997772

Chris.......

jtsvette

Cadet
Thanks for responding When I enter the Mercury engine serial number on the Mercury parts look up page, I get nothing, nada, zero. When I enter the drive number all kinds of info appears? You try, #M039471, so is that #27-997772 gasket paper or hard cardboard, what ever it's made of or is it graphite? I see lots of venders offer both versions. The graphite ones appear to be the same material as the manifold to cylinder head gasket?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yes I tried it. Same thing as you. I tried in in Merc's EPC and it works fine there. Not the first time I've had an engine not show up on Mercruiserparts... It does work on the Merc Parts website.

Yes, the graphite one is the same style as head to exhaust manifold. 27-997772 is graphite.

Chris......