Gen 2 prop anode replacement

DWABoat

Cadet
Recently purchased a 2001 boat with twin Alpha One Gen 2 drives. Changing anodes as routine maintenance. The prop shaft anodes are so corroded they are fused to the outer rim of the prop shaft seal. I got the small retainer bolts out. Can’t pull the anode off.

Question: Is it worth the risk to break them off?
The drives are running fine. No oil leaks. I don’t want to create an issue. Boat is kept on the trailer and in salt water about two weeks of the year.

DWABoat

Cadet
09BB687D-937E-49C3-9ACD-402F585C5618.png Got them both off without damage. Thanks for the inspiration.
I lightly tapped outward in numerous locations with a flat tipped punch. Did this several times in all outward directions.
As I was walking out of my shop, my eye caught a plier-type oil filter wrench I had failed to put away from the last use a few weeks ago. I thought, “Hey, that is perfect to grab and twist the anode.” It is even designed with a slight bend. See pic.
A few tugs and the anode started twisting and came off. Repeated for the other drive.
If anyone else has this problem, the whole process took about 10 minutes. Key - 1. Don’t hit the anode very hard with the flat punch. 2. Don’t put your tools away when done!

jakwi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced mine last year, and it looks like they had been missed by the PO for several years. Exactly like yours I couldn't get them to budge. I ended up chiseling them off. I had no damage on the drive itself from chiseling.