Stiff Steering

Beachqueen

Recruit
After a lot of searches without helpful results, this post is identical to the problems I’m currently having. I realize it’s from 2014, but is there an update on what you concluded the problem was and how you fixed it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... I created you a thread of yer own, which you shoulda done,.....

Did you try all the suggestions in the antique thread you posted in,..??

What is yer driveline,..??
What motor,..??
What drive,..??
How old,..??

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
After a lot of searches without helpful results, this post is identical to the problems I’m currently having. I realize it’s from 2014, but is there an update on what you concluded the problem was and how you fixed it?

No disrespect, but have you checked fluid levels? Depending on type of cable/power to move motor/tiller, you may have a crack in plastic cable shield where water has gotten in and set up rust. I did one time.... I assume you have MC power steering? If so, check levels and listen to pump as friend moved steering wheel and engine is running. If no pump noise, you my not be getting sufficient pump pressure to move tiller. As far as I know, you can disconnect pump lines at actuator assembly and tiller shaft linkage (I did on mine) and with MC engine NOT running move steering wheel. It should freely move and pump a lot of PS fluid into bilge. Be prepared because it will be messy!!!!! But, this process will eliminate any problem, not related to PS pump (hopefully). You may also have grease fittings under steering wheel and back at actuator by tiller. Hard to reach but GREASE both!!!!!.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I have seen a number of times old, and I mean really old white grease on the shaft at the stern end, hard as rock.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This has been around forever, but in case you haven't seen it:

I work behind the counter of a parts and accessories store.
Sometimes I'm called a genius, sometimes I'm called lots more.
I'm just a simple parts man, but when a job goes sick.
The "experts" come to me and ask "What makes this [censored] thing tick ?"
I'm supposed to know the numbers of valves and bolts and gears;
on every product that been made for more than forty years.
Mind reader and magician, and handyman as well.
I'm supposed to be Edison plus Alexander Bell.
But life would be a pleasure and I'd smile from ear to ear,
if people just would tell me the MODEL, MAKE AND YEAR!
(And in the case of a MerCruiser, serial number!)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Need more info...but when mine was stiff, (it was ridiculously tight). I tried greasing the shafts on the power steering actuator, but no good. It ended up being the cable from the helm to the power steering actuator. When I changed it, I couldn't believe the difference. Big time night and day. Before changing it, I needed two hands to move the steering wheel. After the fix, it spins with one finger! Easy job. Tie a string to your old cable before you pull it out. This way you can easily and properly route the new one.
By the way, look on your old cable for the part number. You are replacing the whole thing, cable and sheath.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’ve maybe missed the origin of this but I’m left thinking the below

either you have a 3.0l without power steering
your power steering has no oil on it or needing bled
or your drive belt is slipping or snapped.