Alternator, Power Steering, Brackets 1996 5.7L

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, I am building a 1996 5.7L vortec engine. Mercruiser (via Crowley Parts Lists) shows a V Belt system in 1996 and I want to use a Serpentine belt system. Mercruiser shows a Serpentine system on the 1997 5.7L. I am assuming that I will need to use brackets and idler pulley(s?) from the 1997 Parts List so I am working on rounding up the parts and need to get all the right ones.

The confusion lies in the orientation and location of the alternator, the power steering pump, and the idler pulley(s?). I have seen pictures where the alternator is upper left and the power steering pump is lower right when looking at the front of the engine. On the other hand, I have seen pictures with the alternator lower right and power steering pump upper left when looking at the front of the engine.

Does anybody know which orientation of the alternator and power steering pumps I should use given this is a carb'd engine, standard cooling system (I may add closed cooling at a later date), Thunderbolt 4 ignition, and Alpha 1 drive? Do you have some pictures of your engine from the front? Do you have a serpentine belt routing diagram?

Thanks...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... You'll need the complete, brackets, pulleys, etc from a single motor for an Alpha drive,.....

Mixin', 'n matchin' rarely works out,.....

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I got that on the matching parts so looking at 1997 serpentine set up with brackets and pulleys. But, it appears there are two versions as I described above so not sure what set up to get as to the location of the alternator. Guess I will look for more pics on the internet unless someone has already done the V belt to Serpentine belt conversion on a 95 or 96 engine and has a parts list/belt diagram available.

Thanks..

Bondo

Staff member
I got that on the matching parts so looking at 1997 serpentine set up with brackets and pulleys. But, it appears there are two versions

Ayuh,.... My guess is,..... 1 is for an Alpha, 'n the other is for a Bravo,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
also, there were left over 95 motors in 96.

you may also need the damper and pulleys because the crank trigger on the 1996 and later motors changes spacing. as Bondo stated, you should buy the whole accessory drive as a whole

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Relative to the damper, I am using the 8 inch damper from the 87 to 95 engines with a steel timing cover with double roller chain. Not using a cam sensor. I have GM serpentine pulleys for the crank, water pump, and power steering. Just need the right alternator, power steering pump, and idler brackets. After a bit of internet searching, I think this picture shows the correct belt diagram with or without closed cooling. Just not sure what year to pull the brackets and idler from to set this up.

Serp 1.png

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the damper snouts changed which affects spacing.

brackets and belts are different for raw water cooled vs HX cooled tje PS pump is high-mounted on Raw water cooled.

the image you have is an aftermarket setup.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hmmm, I am thinking that I am coming back full circle to just stay with the V Belt setup with the Power Steering Pump upper left side and the Alternator on the lower right below the PS Pump.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Oops, that was PS pump upper right side (viewed from the engine front) and Alt on the lower right side (viewed from the engine front). Like this (I guess):

V Belt Setup.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Oops, that was PS pump upper right side (viewed from the engine front) and Alt on the lower right side (viewed from the engine front). Like this (I guess):

Ayuh,..... Both are on the Port side of the motor,......

There's only 1 port side, 'n only 1 starboard side, regardless which way yer lookin' at it,.....

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Picture of a 97 LX with serp belt, however I have been told these didn't originally come with a HE...however I would think that would not have changed the belt/bracket layout. DSC08152.JPG

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's an aftermarket HE, and the belt is missing an idler.

Below are all the belt routings for 1997 engines. (Note the bottom left, which is what the photo above SHOULD have been)...

Chris......

Click image for larger version  Name:	belts.JPG Views:	1 Size:	43.8 KB ID:	10833571

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's an aftermarket HE, and the belt is missing an idler.

Below are all the belt routings for 1997 engines. (Note the bottom left, which is what the photo above SHOULD have been)...

Chris......

it has one idler, that is adjustable, looks like it should have had two... you wouldn't happen to have that part number...?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
doesnt matter what the factory parts are. the aftermarket heat exchangers use aftermarket brackets

AKJohne

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that, I have had issues in the past with the belt squealing under some conditions. I have changed the alternator and made sure the pulley is clean, new belt, etc, belt dressing makes it quit but doesn't last very long. Mostly annoying.
To achieve proper belt tension the alternator bracket starts to flex, which affects the belt alignment and will take out a belt or shorten its life. I do carry a spare. I welded some flat-stock on the bottom of the alt bracket to stiffen, which has taken care of the flex. I am aware that over-tightening can cause bearing failure in the alternator.

I would consider adding this additional idler, if I thought it would help... however if the belt is tight and the additional idler doesn't increase the amount of "wrap" on the alt pulley, I doubt it would make any difference...........?

I found a picture of raw water cooled motor with a belt layout identical to mine...other than the addition of a HE, I am not sure how the idler would make much if any difference...? Thoughts..? What am I missing?

Big Thanks.....!

Pic is a [h=1]Mercury-Mercruiser 865108R88 357 Alpha 4V Reman[/h] 0020728_mercury-mercruiser-865108r88-357-alpha-4v-reman.jpeg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Thanks for that, I have had issues in the past with the belt squealing under some conditions. I have changed the alternator and made sure the pulley is clean, new belt, etc, belt dressing makes it quit but doesn't last very long. Mostly annoying.
To achieve proper belt tension the alternator bracket starts to flex, which affects the belt alignment and will take out a belt or shorten its life. I do carry a spare. I welded some flat-stock on the bottom of the alt bracket to stiffen, which has taken care of the flex. I am aware that over-tightening can cause bearing failure in the alternator.

I would consider adding this additional idler, if I thought it would help... however if the belt is tight and the additional idler doesn't increase the amount of "wrap" on the alt pulley, I doubt it would make any difference...........?

I found a picture of raw water cooled motor with a belt layout identical to mine...other than the addition of a HE, I am not sure how the idler would make much if any difference...? Thoughts..? What am I missing?

Big Thanks.....!

I haven't seen one, but I suspect the OEM HE is a bit more 'squat', and as such interferes with the belt in the original path. If your belt clears the HE then I wouldn't bother with another idler.

Chris.........