Coil or Carb ?

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My previous post regarding stalling and starting issues and carb remanufacture recommendations ( 1/11/20) for a 1972 3.0L came up with most people thinking I have an ignition issue instead . The engine starts fine cold ,runs for 45-60 min and then has stalling, restarting problems . all ignition parts are fairly new except the coil . So pulled coil (quite likely original ) and get 1.3 ohms on primary and 11.6 ( on 20K scale ) on secondary . Some posters think my starting issues are due to coil overheating . Any more thoughts ? Also would a newer more powerful coil be more compatible with the pertronic ignition which replaced the original points system ? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Anytime I've converted to the Pertronics system, I used their coil,.....

muskrat808

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So ,are you saying that could be my problem ? And which coil do you recommend , I see they have a few . Thanks .

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, why not continue the same post as prior?

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...outdrives/10773961-mercruiser-stalling-issues

only one person thought it was the coil. the others thought it was debris in your carb

in this thread we told you to simply rebuild your own carb

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng.../10824884-remanufactured-carb-recommendations

so why so many different threads on the same issue?

So ,are you saying that could be my problem ? And which coil do you recommend , I see they have a few . Thanks .

you get the one that is called out specifically by part number in the instructions in the pertronix kit. it will depend on if you kept the ballast wire or not.

coils tend to run warm, they will generally be 180 degrees or so.

however of all the pertronix kits I installed over the years, I ended up going back to points because everyone of them failed.

I see you throwing money at a problem and not doing the elbow grease work to first troubleshoot and identify the problem

first, when it stalls, do you have spark? yes or no?
next, do you have fuel at the carb? yes or no?
do you see fuel squirt when you pump the throttle? yes or no?

running for 45 minutes to an hour may simply be a plugged vent line to the fuel tank.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think it’s maybe also worth thinking along the lines of the auto choke failing....if no luck with the above. Have a look next time to see it’s correct operation, if it had one.