Bravo 3 bearing carrier

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gents,

Decided to get a head start on Spring outdrive work. I pulled the props off and found some corrosion on the bearing carrier. Question is how do I prevent this corrosion? How difficult is it to change the bearing carrier? Is it absolutely necessary to change it out as it is now? I did some research; and I understand there are special tools needed, and it is often difficult to remove. But my biggest concern was reassembly and proper shimming per the Mercruiser manual. Any thoughts please share. ~2002 Bravo 3 drive S/N OM146347. There is not a zinc on the prop shaft like the newer style.

Attachments

• photo325017.jpg
    photo325017.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 12
  • photo325018.jpg
    photo325018.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 12

alldodge

Staff member
It that is after one season you and/or the boats around your boat have some issues. Now if its been a few seasons then maybe not so much. Its good to pull props off a B3 (really all drives but more so B3) every year. You can wire brush it down, primer and repaint. I was doing that to mine until I picked up a probe and found out what was going on.

You do need a tool to remove and it has LEFT HAND threads, not regular right hand threads.
Its getting bad and thin where the seal is held, I would replace it. There is no shimming on the outer carrier, shimming is done on the inner bearing retainer nut. The carrier just gets removed and reinstall new and torque to 150 lb ft

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
That damage is usually electrolsys from the SS props or stray electric current
Dont even know how this would work but looking at that damage and maybe from lack of zincs or too small of a zinc I might consider the 6 inch rudder zinc attached to the skeg. Certainly cant hurt

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Certainly cant hurt

I disagree with this. Too much anode can be just as bad as not enough. But this is a 'design 1" Bravo 3 so it probably doesn't have enough. In later years they added the prop shaft anode and one more plate anode to the anti-ventilation plate. I would not drill a hole in the skeg to mount a rudder anode. It would have a good chance of messing up the water flow to the props.

1st, This serial number is affected by Service Bulletin MC-2006-002. This service bulletin needs to be addressed. Please complete the required service work regarding this issue.

If this drive has gone 18 years before needing this repair, just screw a new bearing carrier on it. If all this corrosion is recent. It Might be time to get out the silver/silver-chloride electrode and track it down.

alldodge

Staff member
I like you posting Bul numbers so I can go try and find, but I'm coming up empty on it so far.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
I like you posting Bul numbers so I can go try and find, but I'm coming up empty on it so far.

Wish I could copy and paste, but every time I want to look at then. I must first promise Mercury Marine that they are only for my customer or myself.
This bulletin deals with alternator wiring. This was almost always just an inspection, it was very rare to have to reroute them.

The O.P. Should get this registered in their name and make sure the alt wiring don’t burn the boat down.

alldodge

Staff member
Yep I know

Hey salty3rd, contact a dealer, find out about the recall, get a copy and post it

salty3rd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep I know

Hey salty3rd, contact a dealer, find out about the recall, get a copy and post it

I will definitely make some phone calls regarding the recall and try to get something posted.

I wIll also reluctantly shell out 400+ for the new bearing carrier, I’ll prime and paint and see how it goes. By the way that is after 3 seasons in saltwater, it was a freshwater boat when I got it. Thanks again all..

alldodge

Staff member
Salt, hope your using aluminum anodes
Also is the boat connected to shore power?

alldodge

Staff member
Thought of something, if tis is a recall (uscg type) then it should be in the data base. I'm on the site and unable to find it. Anyone know how to search for it?