454 thunderbolt ignition ?

Chrish278

Cadet
I've just recently purchased a 1990 searay 270 with a 7.4 and the previous owner had put a automotive distributor on it and I'm wanting to go back with marine for the safety issues. My question is there a alternative distributor like the automotive one where it just drops in without having to buy back all the thunderbolt iv accessories? Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
First, welcome aboard

Second, make sure that the dizzy is the only automotive thing in the boat. for a 31 year old boat, they could have swapped an entire truck motor into it. post a picture of the motor and list the serial number of the engine (metal tag riveted to block above starter boss)

does your 1990 have an Alpha or a Bravo drive? back in 1989 and 1990, there were Alpha's as well as Bravo drives behind the 7.4's in 1990

the TB-IV and TB-V distributors were further ahead of anything automotive, plus there is the whole automotive ignition systems causing the boats to blow up thing

However GM has the Delco Voyager distributor, which for about $400 you get a distributor, coil and wires

There is also the Mallory YLM distributors and the Pertronix distribtors as well as DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) has SAE 1171 compliant versions of the old GM HEI

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,........ The Delco Voyager is the "Go to" ignition if there's ever a problem with the Thunderbolt ignition,.......
The Delco is reasonably inexpensive, 'n darn near as good as the ole T-bolt ignition, which is crazy expensive to buy parts for,....

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Try This,.......

Btw,..... All Chevy V- 8s use the same distributor,.......