No announcement yet.

Very loud rattling/knocking noise under load

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the plan, definitely spun the prop, can see the melted rubber falling out of bushing, whipped up a stand for the outdrive and got the allignment tool on the way. Gunna play with allignment, I'll check it again when I get the new bearing in. Sooo I watched every video I can find on doing bellows and gimble bearings, seems pretty simple and easy asking as you have the right tools. Now I think shift cable Bellow is good, but and water got into out drive from water impeller oring, and nothing looks rusted, just wet. But there is a nice little bit of sand built up around the shift cable. But that's the lowest spot on in the outdrive. So I'm thinking previous owner ran it in some shallow sand. So will pull impeller once I get it back on the boat.

Comment

I did a real quick compression test just to see if there was any big difference in compression. I just pulled one plug at a time. I know this isn't the correct way. And not most accurate but I figure it would atleast show any cylinders the have much lower compression. And most of the cylinders were around 120-125 except
      cyl.
      ​​ 1- 105psi
      3- 105psi
      5- 110
      4- 115
      i got a nice 383 stroker in my 84 suburban.I had the motor built to tow my 10k lbs toy hauler on 700 mile round trips. And I only put aaround 5000miles on it. And changed the oil 4 times now with Lucas and zddp additives. I'm probably going to change the cam in it and maybe put some thicker head gaskets on it to lower compression (10.1) to around 9... Has true roller rockers with world product sportsman iron heads with 64cc Chambers and 2.02 valves. The cam is extreme energy cam 12-242-2
      int. Lift 477
      Exh lift 480
      Duration 224-231
      Lobe seperation 110
      Last edited by cruiser83; February 10th, 2020, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser83 View Post
        I did a real quick compression test just to see if there was any big difference in compression. I just pulled one plug at a time. I know this isn't the correct way. And not most accurate but I figure it would atleast show any cylinders the have much lower compression. And most of the cylinders were around 120-125 except
        cyl.
        ​​ 1- 105psi
        3- 105psi
        5- 110
        4- 115
        i got a nice 383 stroker in my 84 suburban.I had the motor built to tow my 10k lbs toy hauler on 700 mile round trips. And I only put aaround 5000miles on it. And changed the oil 4 times now with Lucas and zddp additives. I'm probably going to change the can in it and maybe put some thicker head gaskets on it to lower compression (10.1) to around 9... Has true roller rockers with world product sportsman iron heads with 64cc Chambers and 2.02 valves.
        Would need to have specifics of the 383 prior to being able to comment. However first comment..... If it wasnt built as a boat motor...... NO
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Comment

I should add that I live at 7+k elevation. So the compression numbers are lower then what they would be at sea level.

Comment

And most of the cylinders were around 120-125 except
              cyl.
              ​​ 1- 105psi
              3- 105psi
              5- 110
              4- 115
              Ayuh,..... Even at elevation, that's a rebuildable core motor, not a runner,......

Comment

Be kind of fun to drop a stroker in that hull. Need to analyze all the components to know whether the one in the chev is suitable without a lot of mods. The current motor would be a good candidate to build up.
                17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                Honda BF100L kicker
                Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Ya hopefully I'll have the motor pulled and apart and go from there. But I just noticed this long crack along the bottom of the hull....not to sure what I should do about it? I started a post on this in the hull repair section. Not really sure how I should go about this.

Comment

as I wrote in your other thread. you must restore the hull. you have rot in the structure. time to start reading the restoration DIY links.
                    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I think the motor is the least of your worries...
                      Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Does it look like the chine was glassed on over the completed hull? THat's what it looks like in the pic. From what I have seen, chines are usually built right into the mold for the hull, so it seems strange. If it was molded into the hull bottom you have a serious problem and probably the stringers are mud.
                        17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                        Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                        now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                        Honda BF100L kicker
                        Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                        If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiser83 View Post
                          I should add that I live at 7+k elevation. So the compression numbers are lower then what they would be at sea level.
                          Unless you run it hot or wore it out, I'd check compression tool. You may have shraider valve sticking or not working at all. I almost pulled a 350 because of poor numbers. By chance I discovered loose valve. I don't know how it got loose. I tighten and retested all 8 cylinders to 150 +-5 lbs. I don't know about elevation factors???

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Stephens View Post
                            Does it look like the chine was glassed on over the completed hull? THat's what it looks like in the pic. From what I have seen, chines are usually built right into the mold for the hull, so it seems strange. If it was molded into the hull bottom you have a serious problem and probably the stringers are mud.
                            From other pics the OP posted in the Resto forum, her has serious cracking in other places, not just along that chine. I'd be amazed if he doesn't have substantial rot in the boat's bones.
                            Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Working...
                            X