Winterizing with 4.3 Merc

Tommyd13

Seaman Apprentice
So it is almost cold enough here to worry about winterizing. I have already unscrewed the blue plugs in the manifolds to drain the water out. I was wondering if this was good enough or should I run some pink stuff through the motor as well.

alldodge

Staff member
So it is almost cold enough here to worry about winterizing. I have already unscrewed the blue plugs in the manifolds to drain the water out. I was wondering if this was good enough or should I run some pink stuff through the motor as well.

If that is all you did then :nono:

Would be good to know what 4.3, maybe a year

Need to drain the block,
lower circulating water pump hose
remove and lower hose come from the Alpha drive and lower to bilge to drain water out

Check the outdrive drain holes
drain holes.jpg

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Motor and outdrive must also be empty. Like AD said, everything according to the book. If the motor, manifolds, water pump, oil cooler and outdrive are dry, no need to antifreeze. To do the outdrive, lower it down as far as it will go on the trailer and probe the drain holes on the lower part to make sure they aren't plugged up. Water in the outdrive will freeze and split the drive case.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also there is a square plug on the forward end of the intake manifold that needs to be drained as well.

alldodge

Staff member
The engine is 2005 Alpha One Drive

Being a 2005 and your first post I'm thinking you have the 7 point drain and not the 3 point

It brings up more questions like its probably MPI, and which a serial number would help

You may have a blue plug on the circulating water pump hose, and if so no need to remove hose, just remove plug.
If MPI it would also have a blue plug just infront of the cool fuel on lower port side hose

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31499/7801/190