Running on muffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running on muffs

Since I'm new to boats, I ask a lot of stupid questions so bear with me. Testing the motor on a garden hose with muffs and was told not to run the motor above about 1500 rpm. Is this true?

Yes. As the engine speed increases so too does the water pump impeller speed. A standard garden hose can't supply enough water beyond about 1500rpm, so you'll end up with a burnt impeller....

Oh, and don't worry about asking too many questions. The only dumb question is the one asked too late...

Chris....
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
    1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
    (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Thanks! I ran it up briefly to 2k but I won't go beyond that. Of course I do plan on replacing the impeller anyway.

Comment

Which brings up another question. I don't have a serial number for the outdrive so how do I know which impeller to buy? I see whole pump kits with the housing and all new parts. I only need just the impeller correct? Drive only has about 150 hours on it.

Comment

Got a serial number for the engine? Or a year?

Comment

2001 Sea Ray 180 with 3.0 but, the outdrive is from a 2002. New motor also.

Comment

Outdrive is pretty much certain to be an Alpha 1 Gen 2. Looks like the pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	fetch?id=7175450.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	10813894
              17 Foot '90 Bluewater
              Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
              now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
              Honda BF100L kicker
              Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
              If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Yup gen II

Comment

Originally posted by Me Too View Post
                  Drive only has about 150 hours on it.
                  impellers dont care how many hours there are on the hour meter. that is only how many hours you used the boat.

rubber parts go off of calendar time. doesnt mater if you use the boat or not. impellers get replaced every 5 years in fresh water, or about every 3 years in salt water.
                  Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                  1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                  2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                  1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post

impellers dont care how many hours there are on the hour meter. that is only how many hours you used the boat.

rubber parts go off of calendar time. doesnt mater if you use the boat or not. impellers get replaced every 5 years in fresh water, or about every 3 years in salt water.
                    I'll add to that....

Using the boat more will decrease the likelihood of a fail in the interim. Rubber parts like nothing less than sitting around doing nothing. Keep using them on a regular basis and they stay pliable and are less prone to premature failure.

"It's not USING a boat that damages it, it NOT using a boat that damages it."

Chris............

Comment

lets look at it another way. you have a 19 year old boat with 150 hours on it. that is less than 8 hours of use per year, or basically once a year.

it should have 950 hours on it if it was used the average amount which is 50 hours per year.

use the boat
                      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                      X