Mercruiser 3.0 in colder weather

Reiderseven

Recruit
I’ve had my boat (bayliner 175 with mercruiser 3.0) for 13 years and typically winterized by this time (nov) here in Southern Ontario, however this year I’m pushing the season longer to do more fishing. Boat stays in attached (to house) garage (not heated, 2 insulated walls) when not in use. Plan is to get out on the water in close to freezing temps but won’t go if well below freezing. When pulling out of water, will drain with 2 blue hoses at the launch and lower outdrive a few times, tow home into garage, wet/dry vac the drains to ensure all water is out, pull 3 black hoses and fill with antifreeze (yes each time I go out), I believe one fills the block, the other the manifold and the lowest tube to the lower end and intake/pump etc, and then for insurance have purchased a bilge heater and a blanket to put over the engine compartment blocking the vents when not in use.
Have been reading A LOT online to get more familiar with the boat engine.
Has anyone done this? Am I missing anything that could cause damage? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like you got it, only thing in the manual it discusses probing the drive holes, and crank the motor (without starting) slightly to clear water from pump

drain holes.jpg

Rick Stephens

Admiral
For years here in Idaho, I have been doing frequent draining and boating trips in the fall. I pull back to the house, fire up on muffs to get warm, then pull all my 5 of my drain plugs(2 block, 2 manis and oil cooler) and the water pump hose. With the outdrive down I make sure all the drive drain holes are open and then I park it till I need it again. Had any number of nights in the teens doing this over the years. I make sure the water is all out though.

Bondo

Staff member
For years here in Idaho, I have been doing frequent draining and boating trips in the fall. I pull back to the house, fire up on muffs to get warm, then pull all my 5 of my drain plugs(2 block, 2 manis and oil cooler) and the water pump hose. With the outdrive down I make sure all the drive drain holes are open and then I park it till I need it again. Had any number of nights in the teens doing this over the years. I make sure the water is all out though.

Ayuh,...... Durin' the few years I chased Muskies up on the big river, in the high teens, low 20s,......

I did all of this, At the boat launch,...... As soon as it was on the wagon, 'n shut-down,......

You'll never have a problem, so long as ya get the water Out of it, 'n drainin', done right, does the job,.......

Reiderseven

Recruit
Thanks guys,
so when turning the engine over without starting, is it better to pull the kill switch so there no chance of the engine starting. Or just turn it over quickly making sure it’s not enough to start?

Thanks Rick, I wasn’t considering starting it back up in the driveway but I’ll have to give that some thought. I was debating fogging the engine on the way out at the launch just in case the next outing isn’t for a while. We have a few boat options for fishing (my buddies all have outboards!)

alldodge

Staff member
so when turning the engine over without starting, is it better to pull the kill switch so there no chance of the engine starting. Or just turn it over quickly making sure it’s not enough to start?

I'm just passing manual info along and yes that would work.

Listen to Rick and Bondo they have you covered

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ayuh,...... Durin' the few years I chased Muskies up on the big river, in the high teens, low 20s,......

I did all of this, At the boat launch,...... As soon as it was on the wagon, 'n shut-down,......

You'll never have a problem, so long as ya get the water Out of it, 'n drainin', done right, does the job,.......

Yer right! I'm not smart enuf to have the tools settin ready to go when I get out. Your method makes a lot of sense, particularly since the ramp is normally nekid of people in the fall. Open it up, drive home and park it.

Reiderseven

Recruit
Awesome. The ramp we use on the Niagara River gets very busy with fishermen and there’s only one ramp on the Canadian side of the entire river which is crazy! But there’s room to pull out quickly and then off to the side where I’m hoping to drain the engine in about 15 min and then get back to the garage to pull hoses and fill with antifreeze

fishrdan

Admiral
I do the same as Bondo, drain at the ramp right after I pull the boat out of the water, drop/raise the drive a couple of times, and leave the fittings open until I get home. But, I'm using a deserted multi-lane ramp.

I wouldn't use anti-freeze, atleast until you're laying up the boat for the winter... Air don't freeze.... (I have a 73 Mercruiser, never seen anti-freeze in the 20 years I've had it.)

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I do the same as Bondo, drain at the ramp right after I pull the boat out of the water, drop/raise the drive a couple of times, and leave the fittings open until I get home. But, I'm using a deserted multi-lane ramp.

I wouldn't use anti-freeze, atleast until you're laying up the boat for the winter... Air don't freeze.... (I have a 73 Mercruiser, never seen anti-freeze in the 20 years I've had it.)

Exactly.