Alpha one gen 2 Gimbal housing gasket seal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha one gen 2 Gimbal housing gasket seal

I'm replacing a Volvo penta 4.3 v6 original engine with Mercruiser 4.3. The outdrive and gimbal housing is replaced with the alpha one gen 2 version. I had to drill 2 holes in a transom to fit the alpha 1 gen 2 gimbal housing and decided to replace the rubber gasket/seal in the gimbal. The new one is slipping from the grove. Should I glue it down? And if yes what kind of glue should I use? I can use some waterproof sealant adhesive or should I go for something stronger like bellows adhesive? Thx.
    1998 Ebbtide 210 Campione, Mercruiser 5.0 V8, 1993 Larsen Sei 200 BR, Mercruiser 5.0 V8 1990 Bayliner 2050, Mercruiser 3.0LX 1984 Mercedes, OMC 3.8 V.6

bellows adhesive
    Agree, use bellows adhesive
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I just put a little bellows adhesive in the groove, too. Held the gasket in very nicely.
      Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Some form of rubber cement... I used Copper Coat, but basically the same as bellows adhesive. If I had to do it over, I would also have added a thin coat of 4200 when I installed the housing on the transom. Transom bolts aren't tightened all that much and the 4200 will make a nice gasket to fiberglass seal.
        17 Foot '90 Bluewater
        Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
        now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
        Honda BF100L kicker
        Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
        If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Stephens View Post
          If I had to do it over,.
          Have you seen a leak Rick?
          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

That gasket is made out of the wrong material, that foam rubber loses its tension after a while and will compress to paper thin . I used 4200 on both sides.
            1999 Powerquest 260 legend
            502 mpi
            B1

Comment

Ya know if the gaskets where that bad, there would be threads all over the net about boats leaking.
              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
                Ya know if the gaskets where that bad, there would be threads all over the net about boats leaking.
                All the rotted transom threads are proof of this gasket failure. Could not believe what this gasket looked like when I fixed my leak last spring., you could pull it apart with your fingers. What kind of quality do expect for 10 bucks ?
                1999 Powerquest 260 legend
                502 mpi
                B1

Comment

All the rotted transom threads are proof of this gasket failure
                  Guess well just agree to disagree, the transom issues that I've seen is not from the seal failure, they are from other causes (steering pin seal, bellows, holes drilled for senders, etc) which caused the transom to soften, and then the leak starts
                  07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Guess well just agree to disagree, the transom issues that I've seen is not from the seal failure, they are from other causes (steering pin seal, bellows, holes drilled for senders, etc) which caused the transom to soften, and then the leak starts
                    Ayuh,..... I agree, the failure of that gasket is usually a result of other issues, rather than the cause,.....

Comment

I'm yet to see one of those seals fail. Transom rot starting in the stud holes is usually a result of water on the inside of the bilge, originating elsewhere. Or an unsealed screw hole (think transom mounted sounder transducer) made by dumb owners who don't think sealing the hole before putting the screw in is necessary.
                      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
                      1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
                      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
                      (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Have you seen a leak Rick?
                        Yah. When I redid my transom and built the new motor mounts, I got the thing within spec, but still not perfectly flat. I had to go back and additionally tighten the transom plate bolts to dry things up. I wish I had 4200'd the gasket when I installed it.
                        17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                        Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
                        now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
                        Honda BF100L kicker
                        Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
                        If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Sorry to hear about that
                          07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Originally posted by scoflaw View Post
                            That gasket is made out of the wrong material, that foam rubber loses its tension after a while and will compress to paper thin . I used 4200 on both sides.
                            I have removed at least 1/2 dozen Alphas and Bravos and every one had collapsed or flattened the seal. All the 7/16" studs were rusted so they got water on them from somewhere. 5200 or 4200 film inside and under gasket makes you sleep better and maybe give you a couple of more years before leaks. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

6 out of (talking a WAG) 10 million assemblies and your sure this was from a leak of the gasket and not somewhere else?
                              07 Seadoo GTX

Comment

Working...
                              X