6.2L MPI Horizon MIE Oil Analysis Shows Antifreeze

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also you want to make sure the sealing surface of the intake is flat to less that .003”. Use Fel Pro marine gaskets and follow torque specs closely. What’s the cam valley look like?

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
Also you want to make sure the sealing surface of the intake is flat to less that .003”. Use Fel Pro marine gaskets and follow torque specs closely. What’s the cam valley look like?

The Fel-Pro gaskets look much better than the plastic gaskets that I removed.
It looked pretty clean in the valley except for the crud that dropped in when I pulled the manifold. I'll check things out better when I have the engine pulled in the spring. My plan is to rebuild this engine to use on the starboard side provided it doesn't need too much work.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That amount of rust on an engine with closed cooling seems unusual. How long was the antifreeze in use? Almost looks like a lack of corrosion inhibitors. Here's what mine looked like when I pulled off the manifold, the orange stuff was the old gaskett that were stuck on like Kryptonite. This engine was 29 years old when I took it apart, raw water cooled, used in salt water 100% for 15+ years.

Attachments

• photo284489.jpg
    photo284489.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 1

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
That amount of rust on an engine with closed cooling seems unusual. How long was the antifreeze in use? Almost looks like a lack of corrosion inhibitors. Here's what mine looked like when I pulled off the manifold, the orange stuff was the old gaskett that were stuck on like Kryptonite. This engine was 29 years old when I took it apart, raw water cooled, used in salt water 100% for 15+ years.

The antifreeze looked like it was recently changed. Prior to that I don't know. This was my first season with this boat. Obviously things have not turned out so well.

I have no explanation for all the rust on the top of the motor. Even if the rain gutters on the hatch were clogged , water would not drip on top of the motor.

Intake manifold is at the machine shop and will be magnafluxed and checked for warpage.

I sent out the injectors for cleaning and flow testing. All the injectors on the port side were out of spec prior to cleaning. all were OK after cleaning (within 2.5%).

Is there any cross reference list for Mercruiser to GM marine engine part numbers? I have not been able to find much.
While I had the throttle body off, I was going to replace the gasket, until I saw the price. After much searching I was able to determine that the throttle body was used on a 2000-2002 Cadillac Seville 4.2L . Price for the gasket was $15, less than 1/4 the price that one of the online Mercruiser dealers wanted for the part.

alldodge

Staff member
There is no direct cross over that I have ever found. Some of the marine parts can be replaced with auto ones but need to think about it before doing so. Things like water pump in open cooled system is not a good idea, some gaskets (not the TB) but others, and so on