140 won’t idle correctly

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
If fuel is getting there and you're confident float level is correct and it won't idle, despite multiple rebuilds somewhere your idle circuit is clogged.

at higher rpms where it runs carb idle transition slots and main venturis start feeding fuel.

I’m not confident in the float level. That’s what I’m getting at. This carb number registers to a 250 that called for different float specs than the 140. But the 140 was never equipped with this particular carb. So I’m going to take the carb back off and reset the float according to 140 spec and try again

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I’m not confident in the float level. That’s what I’m getting at. This carb number registers to a 250 that called for different float specs than the 140. But the 140 was never equipped with this particular carb. So I’m going to take the carb back off and reset the float according to 140 spec and try again

I wouldn't. The float level is carburetor based, not application based.

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I’m confident in my float level now. I’m confident everything is clean and I’m confident the carb is working as it should. I got it to fire and run and it held around 1200 rpm fine, but had a bad miss as RPMs came down . So I started looking at spark rathe than fuel and found a weak spark on #1 and #3.... maybe that’s why it’s so hard to start. On closer inspection I found enough play in the distributor shaft to effect dwell and point gap significantly. -we’re talking from .016 to .022.... so I’m thinking the distributor needs work. Any suggestions?

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo321745.jpg
    photo321745.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321746.jpg
    photo321746.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321747.jpg
    photo321747.jpg
    561.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo321748.jpg
    photo321748.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Simply replace the bushings or have new bushings machined from oilite bronze
and that part is not supposed to come off like that

Scott06

Vice Admiral
BT dr is steering you right, but If you have to take the distributor apart may be worth upgrading the the deco voyager est system. I think the whole system is like $300-350 for a 3.0. While there’s nothing wrong with properly maintained points it may be worth not having to adjust them again

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
Simply replace the bushings or have new bushings machined from oilite bronze
and that part is not supposed to come off like that

I’m not sure what these bushing are you’re referring to. Can they be purchased on the web site? Any special tools to install?
ill also look into the deco voyager system

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 bushings in the dist body, top and bottom. When they wear out the lobes will vary the point gap and vary the timing and maybe not let a lobe open the points to fire the plug. If there is side to side play in the shaft, its worn.

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
BT which part isn’t supposed to come off? The part with the lobes separating from the shaft? How I I correct that?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Some, not all have a small snap ring at the top of the lobe section, some are pinned and some are welded .They dont simply pull off

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
The snap ring! I remember see it at some point in the past. I must have taken it out for some reason or it broke.... I’ll have to hope I can find a replacement

Bondo

Staff member
The snap ring! I remember see it at some point in the past. I must have taken it out for some reason or it broke.... I’ll have to hope I can find a replacement

Ayuh,...... Better hardware stores will have several snap-ring indexes, that should have what ya need,.....

SSTKO81

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was having a hard time finding bearings but in the process found the distributor shaft is Warren way out of tolerance so I just bought a used voyager EST… Does anyone have a wiring schematic or any special instructions?