No announcement yet.

140 won’t idle correctly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have checked fuel pump delivery to the carb and needle and seat were replaced and float level is correct

Comment

Is that carb listed as one that is used in the 3.0L or just the 470? Hard to read the sideways screenshots
      17 Foot '90 Bluewater
      Alpha 1 3.0 Merc - repowered in 2016
      now - 4.3L Vortec - Alpha 1 GenII
      Honda BF100L kicker
      Engine custom - Transom 0D65328 - Drive 0D648864
      If you ain't fishin, then yer working too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Stephens View Post
        Is that carb listed as one that is used in the 3.0L or just the 470? Hard to read the sideways screenshots
        Looks like mine was originally on a 250 6cyl. Not a 140 so I’ve set my carb to the specs according to the 250. Is that wrong? And yes, new needle and seat, plenty of fuel getting to carb from pump
        It's like Murphy's law, but worse; another T.K.O>

Comment

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post

Looks like mine was originally on a 250 6cyl. Not a 140 so I’ve set my carb to the specs according to the 250. Is that wrong? And yes, new needle and seat, plenty of fuel getting to carb from pump
          If fuel is getting there and you're confident float level is correct and it won't idle, despite multiple rebuilds somewhere your idle circuit is clogged.

at higher rpms where it runs carb idle transition slots and main venturis start feeding fuel.

Comment

Another thing that will cause poor idling is an intake leak.
            17 Foot '90 Bluewater
            Honda BF100L kicker

Comment

Originally posted by Scott06 View Post

If fuel is getting there and you're confident float level is correct and it won't idle, despite multiple rebuilds somewhere your idle circuit is clogged.

at higher rpms where it runs carb idle transition slots and main venturis start feeding fuel.
              I’m not confident in the float level. That’s what I’m getting at. This carb number registers to a 250 that called for different float specs than the 140. But the 140 was never equipped with this particular carb. So I’m going to take the carb back off and reset the float according to 140 spec and try again

Comment

Originally posted by SSTKO81 View Post

I’m not confident in the float level. That’s what I’m getting at. This carb number registers to a 250 that called for different float specs than the 140. But the 140 was never equipped with this particular carb. So I’m going to take the carb back off and reset the float according to 140 spec and try again
                I wouldn't. The float level is carburetor based, not application based.
                17 Foot '90 Bluewater
                Honda BF100L kicker

Comment

Well I’m confident in my float level now. I’m confident everything is clean and I’m confident the carb is working as it should. I got it to fire and run and it held around 1200 rpm fine, but had a bad miss as RPMs came down . So I started looking at spark rathe than fuel and found a weak spark on #1 and #3.... maybe that’s why it’s so hard to start. On closer inspection I found enough play in the distributor shaft to effect dwell and point gap significantly. -we’re talking from .016 to .022.... so I’m thinking the distributor needs work. Any suggestions?

Comment

Comment

Simply replace the bushings or have new bushings machined from oilite bronze
                      and that part is not supposed to come off like that
                      NO PERSONAL QUESTIONS, THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM IS FOR.

Comment

BT dr is steering you right, but If you have to take the distributor apart may be worth upgrading the the deco voyager est system. I think the whole system is like $300-350 for a 3.0. While there’s nothing wrong with properly maintained points it may be worth not having to adjust them again

Comment

Originally posted by Bt Doctur View Post
                          Simply replace the bushings or have new bushings machined from oilite bronze
                          and that part is not supposed to come off like that
                          I’m not sure what these bushing are you’re referring to. Can they be purchased on the web site? Any special tools to install?
                          ill also look into the deco voyager system

Comment

There are 2 bushings in the dist body, top and bottom. When they wear out the lobes will vary the point gap and vary the timing and maybe not let a lobe open the points to fire the plug. If there is side to side play in the shaft, its worn.

Comment

BT which part isn’t supposed to come off? The part with the lobes separating from the shaft? How I I correct that?

Comment

Some, not all have a small snap ring at the top of the lobe section, some are pinned and some are welded .They dont simply pull off

Comment

Working...
                                X