Buzzer help after overheat

Murfalert

Cadet
My impeller broke, got things hot, burned a hole in the plastic water tube. I replaced impeller and tube. Ran boat about 15 minutes and it runs at 160 like always. However, the buzzer won’t stop. Could I have burned and destroyed it? Or maybe damaged the oil sensor? Where is each located? Could I have some burned plastic plugging near the sensor despite it not running hot?
Thanks
Murf

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hey Murf,

What we working on mate?
(Could be grandma's old rocking chair for all we know right now)

Year, model, serial numbers....

Chris........

Murfalert

Cadet
Duh; left out some important info. I figured since I knew...
2005 Crownline 18’ with 4.3 and Mercruiser Alpha One.
Is there a sensitive low oil level alarm in the outdrive? I filled it with it level and not when raised. I saw both for instructions on the ‘never wrong’ interweb thingy.
Murf

achris

Drive MUST be filled, from the bottom up, and with the drive level. There's a float switch in the gear oil monitor bottle. And it's not unknown for the magnet to fall off the bottom of the float. Unplug either one of the wires coming from the bottle, see if the alarm stops.

Engine, 4.3... Carbed or MPI? (and what year is it? Boat year not always the same as engine year. How about an engine serial number)

Chris........

Last edited:

Murfalert

Cadet
It’s a carb motor. Where is a gear oil bottle? All I see is the steering reservoir? Drive is full of oil- I topped it off again with a syringe. I pulled a wire from the buzzer and took it out for a half hour. All works great. Motor runs at 160F. I’d love to know where the actual switches are that can trip the buzzer so I could eliminate each.
Thanks
Murf

achris

3 alarm sensors. Gear oil monitor. Square plastic bottle right at the top of the engine on the port side. Oil pressure switch alarm is tee'd with the fuel pump oil pressure switch, down on the port side of the block towards the back. Temperature alarm switch, in the side of the thermostat housing.

Chris......
oil bottle.JPG

Murfalert

Cadet
Excellent, you’ve been a great help. I don’t think I have the gear oil bottle though. We took it to dinner, an hour round trip, and all was good. But I know that cutting the alarm wire is NOT a fix. I need to keep digging.
Murf

Murfalert

Cadet
Dumbass alert- bottle was empty from me leaving the transom off for days so it evidently drained via gravity. And I was leaning over it (it’s tucked under the cowling a little) as I was looking for it. I appreciate the help and patience.
Murf

Murfalert

Cadet
What is the purpose of the reservoir? Is it connected to the outdrive via a hose so the oil level is maintained?
Murf