Telltale for 165 Mercruiser

malrv1

Cadet
Hi I have 165 Mercruiser with a heat exchange system. I am paranoid about running the impeller dry. Could I run a telltale jet like an outboard by tapping into the raw water system with a small 1/8th or 1/16th line running to somewhere I can see?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
No reason you can't, but unless you're going to be watching the telltale (and not where you're going :eek:) the whole time, you're better off setting up a pressure switch and alarm system.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Apologies for the slander...but don’t these have their own permanent tell tale ?....oh no wait....that’s just the water pump seal, head and cooling water leaking. Sorry couldn’t resist. Forgive me.

Bondo

Staff member
Hi I have 165 Mercruiser with a heat exchange system. I am paranoid about running the impeller dry. Could I run a telltale jet like an outboard by tapping into the raw water system with a small 1/8th or 1/16th line running to somewhere I can see?

Ayuh,...... Find a water pressure gauge used for an outboard in a speed boat,......

Glancin' at a gauge is better than starrin' at a tell tail stream,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a $20 water pressure gauge used on an outboard, plumbed to the hose just after the raw water pump would work. however simply changing the impeller regularly while doing all the other annual maintenance is the best way to prevent issues.