mercruiser alpha one gen 1 upper gear tapered bearing

Daithiog

Cadet
Looking for some help .
Just received a new bearing, correct part number 31-32573A 1 but the old bearing is a wider bearing. Inner bearing diameter is also different. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Daithiog

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, I have the race also but its a different size bearing to the original one which I have not removed from the shaft as you can see in the pictures. Is it possible that its a different size shaft or the wrong bearing is in the right box!!!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The bearing you specified is for the 1.50:1 drive ratio. If you have a different ratio, it's a different bearing.

How about a bit more information that 'Alpha one gen1'? Let's start with a year, and the engine this drive is behind. If you have the serial number, all the better. Also, what is the drive overall ratio...

Chris.........

Daithiog

Cadet
Hi Chris,Thanks for the reply.
The serial number for the stern drive is
OB 891094
I am very limited to the information I have on it, I am a mechanic myself but never refurbed a stern drive.
I have maybe takin things for granted when ordering parts when not knowing exactly what I have.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
1987 drv: 0b891094 5010198as mercruiser alpha 1.98:1

31-35990a 1
timken cone 89449
timken cup 89410

Daithiog

Cadet
Cheers Chris, you have made my day. Removed the race today and was shimmed underneath but no cut out for the oil in the shim.....
I presume my topcover bearing will be different also .
really appreciate your information.

Thanks so much

achris

With a ratio of 1.98:1, it means the engine is a 2.5 or 3litre GM 4 cylinder.

The top bearing is the same regardless of ratio. 31-61100A1.

I hope you have the shim and preload tools, and the (correct FACTORY) manual that tell you how to set it up. If you don't check and asdjust the shims and preloads, the drive will be noisy and will fail prematurely...

Chris......

Daithiog

Cadet
I have no manual but will order one. Getting out the race was a nightmare on its own (upper case was seized )which I will measure the shims in the morn. Just worried about putting the new race in and if my backlash is wrong getting it back out.
thanks again for the info

Daithiog

Cadet
Hi all,
i am struggling to get a mercruiser alpha 1 gen 1 new pre load washer and lock nut for the upper gear case here in Ireland or the Uk.
I presume this is not a re usable part , well the washer any way ??????

achris

Very very 'standard' parts. Any Merc dealer should have them, or be able to get them in a couple of days.

Part numbers...
Washer is 12-45810
Nut is 11-22339

It's the same for the Gen II drives... So those numbers are still the current parts.

Chris.........

Daithiog

Cadet
Cheers Chris,
Had the get them sent from the US but have spares now for a back up ( hopefully won't need them for a while)
Type of grease for the new bearings?,I know it may sound like a silly question. Manual says 2-4-C just wanna make sure that will be correct and not react when I fill with gear oil.

achris

Don't use grease! Use gear oil.

Chris..........