Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercruiser 3.0 - Replacing the Starter, What Else to Check?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercruiser 3.0 - Replacing the Starter, What Else to Check?

I need to replace the starter on a Mercruiser 3.0L, so I'll be pulling the engine. What else should I be looking for / replacing?

I'm planning to do the gimbal bearing, bellows and water pump impeller as well.

Exhaust shutters and a compression and leak down test would let you know the health of the motor
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Originally posted by morebacon View Post
      .... What else should I be looking for / replacing?...
      Look at everything, replace what needs to be replaced.

When doing any job, we do it with our eyes open, which means you just keep on the lookout for anything 'not right'. I see this 'tunnel vision' all the time. People start to do a job, like replacing spark plugs, and just 'don't see' the distributor cap that's cracked.... look at things through open eyes.

Chris......
      Last edited by achris; September 14th, 2019, 04:22 AM.
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
      1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
      2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
      (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Also take a close look at the unpainted area on the timing cover that the harmonic balancer hides.
        Kenner, Louisiana 1980 Donzi 18'. 2+3 6.2 MPI Alpha 1

Comment

Originally posted by AllDodge View Post
          Exhaust shutters and a compression and leak down test would let you know the health of the motor
          Thanks for the suggestion - compression looks good so far (165, 160, 165, 165), will check the rest.

Originally posted by kenny nunez View Post
          Also take a close look at the unpainted area on the timing cover that the harmonic balancer hides.
          Good point! I'm actually going to replace the timing cover completely, as it's leaking from the bottom where it meets the pan.

---

So I got the engine out over the weekend and also the gimbal bearing. How do I check if the gimbal is still serviceable? After cleaning it looks and feels pretty smooth, but it does have some surface rust.

Also split the outdrive and when turning the lower driveshaft it feels just a bit rough. From the parts diagram it looks like the roller bearing, how do I check if it's still good?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - compression looks good so far (165, 160, 165, 165), will check the rest.

Good point! I'm actually going to replace the timing cover completely, as it's leaking from the bottom where it meets the pan.

---

So I got the engine out over the weekend and also the gimbal bearing. How do I check if the gimbal is still serviceable? After cleaning it looks and feels pretty smooth, but it does have some surface rust.
            Once you take a gimbal bearing out, that's it, throw it in the dust bin... The mere act of removing it out damages the bearing race and ball surfaces... Buy a new one, watch my video and put the new one in. (click on the 'My Videos' link at the bottom of my signature and look for the video about gimbal bearings.)

Also split the outdrive and when turning the lower driveshaft it feels just a bit rough. From the parts diagram it looks like the roller bearing, how do I check if it's still good?
            Depending on what the drive is, yes it will feel rough on the driveshaft bearing until you pull or push the shaft in the right direction. Drives before 1982 you need to push the drive shaft down, and drives 1982 and later, you need to pull it up to know how the bearing really feels.

Chris..........

EDIT: Looked at the photos, that's a gen II drive, so you need to pull up on the drive shaft. Also, that yoke looks water damaged. Was there water in the bellows when you pulled the drive?
            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100’ below.
            1972 Bertram ‘Bahia Mar’ 20
            2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha One Gen II (0W829301)
            (Original - 1972 '165' In-line 6. Previous - 1994 4.3LX)

Comment

Working...
            X