Lower unit shaft not spinning

Jaysalman

Seaman Apprentice
Recently hit a rock on my lower unit and has a dent in it anyways I removed it and can’t seem to spin the shaft by hand is this normal or is something wrong could it be stuck in forward because I did push the throttle lever forward prior to removing LU
Even after I hit the rock operation of the boat was like normal everything was working like it should till I loaded it on the trailer and noticed the dent anyway just trying to see if I can salvage it and get it repaired or look into getting a new LU

Bondo

Staff member
I removed it and can’t seem to spin the shaft by hand is this normal

Ayuh,..... The vertical shaft, or prop shaft,..??

The vertical shaft, ya gotta overcome the resistance of the impeller,.....

The prop shaft usually pops into neutral as soon as ya wiggle it when disconnected from the upper,....

Last edited:

Jaysalman

Seaman Apprentice
I can spin the vertical shaft counter clockwise but Not clockwise the prop shaft I can spin both ways clockwise just clicks and doesn’t move the vertical shaft spinning the prop counterclockwise spins the vertical shaft ccw is this normal operation

Attachments

• photo319373.jpg
    photo319373.jpg
    893.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo319374.jpg
    photo319374.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo319375.jpg
    photo319375.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Jaysalman

Seaman Apprentice
Also shouldn’t there be a gasket on the shaft above the impeller housing I was having issues also with it overheating while idling but while cruising it would cool check photo

Attachments

• photo319376.jpg
    photo319376.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 0