3 litre to 4.3 swap.. Mercruiser

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Hello all, Just joined on here. I have an 06 Bayliner 197sd deck boat with a 3.0 litre mercruiser engine in it. I've had the boat 8 years now but the motor has never had enough power for me. The boats options were originally the 3 litre or 4.3 new.... Now I'm looking into buying a used boat with a4.3 in it and doing a swap. I've found a 1999 Sea ray with a 4.3 mercruiser for a good price and was wondering if this would be a suitable boat to swap with... I've worked on vehicles quite extensively but don't know I/O s that well to know what would line up and what wouldn't....I figured having a whole boat I'd have everything I need at my disposal... Ultimately I'd like to resell the donor boat with the 3 litre put back in it. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I would probably just sell the bayliner and use the SeaRay

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Not disagreeing, but unlike Scott's thoughts, like you I had a nice boat with a 3.0L that also shipped with a 4.3L.

I purchased a newer project boat with a 4.3L and a Gen2 in it and decided the way to go was to swap it over. I did have a thread going HERE about the motor mounts and fiberglassing work required. All I can say is I really love the result, more power than I need probably, but that's more fun than less power than I want. The best part of the 4.3L, other than performance, is how quiet it is compared to the 3.0L. To cruise in the thirty something MPH range with the 3.0 things were roaring. I can hold a quiet conversation at 40 MPH with the V6.

In the end, the swap cost me pretty much just my time as I was able to part out everything I pulled, and the trailer from the donor boat, and paid for the upgrade.

Note as well, I used EVERYTHING from the donor boat from steering wheel back to prop. I pulled it all, except the throttle handle. That was easier to use the already installed one. The electrical system worked perfectly from one to the other, so that stayed as well, although I did have to redo some to account for an electric fuel pump.

Last edited:

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the advice.... I'm looking at the boat Friday and I'm hoping the motor mounts will be the same..Im not sure I want to do this unless I can do a clean swap and resell the other boat. I have my 197 the way I want it so I don't really want to get rid of it

Last edited:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Guess it was kind of a waste of time posting a link to my thread "3.0L to 4.3L mtr mounts and 25 yo transom".

No, the motor mounts are not the same.

No, you cannot do a 'clean swap' in a day or two.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
I read the thread when you posted it and it sounded like yours was a nightmare. That's why i was looking for a similar boat and engine setup to avoid doing fiberglass work on motor mounts... If that's not possible then it's gonna be more than i want to get into.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Is there a reason you couldnt modify your motor mounts with stainless steel adapter brackets instead of doing at all that fiberglass work? And would you recommend that if you had to do it all over again?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I had a blast. The only bad part was deciding to redo the transom which realistically was probably not needed.

Inline engines have a crossmember front mount. All V engines need side mounts. Lots of ways to do a side mount. I didn't mind the fiberglassing of the motor mounts at all. And in the end, I have the perfect fishing barge for my wife and me to go lake hopping for my addiction too kokanee. Every last part of that boat I purpose built and it suits me. And it now will get up over 50 MPH, which it wasn't even in the neighborhood of with the 3 liter. I had a lot of fun that winter building it.... but yeah, I put some hours in.

Bondo

Staff member
Is there a reason you couldnt modify your motor mounts with stainless steel adapter brackets instead of doing at all that fiberglass work?

Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,......... The 3.0l has a single motor mount dead center in the front,.....

V-motors have a forward motor mount on each side of the motor,.....

'n you have to be able to adjust the alignment when it's put together,.....

So,.... to answer yer question, I would think the answer is No,.....

If yer cobbed together such a beast, I'm thinkin' the engineerin', 'n fabrication would be many times more involved that slappin' in some wood 'n glass like is usually done,.....

Don't be scared of glassin',...... it's Easy,......

Plenty of help, in the restoration forum,.......... ;)

Dennis197SD

Seaman
My boat has adjustable motor mount brackets on both sides of the 4cyl. Just like any standard v6 or v8 in a car.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you will have to post a picture of the only 3.0 to have motor mounts on the side of the motor. all 3.0 motors come from GM with a front mount only.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
photo318898.jpg

Attachments

• photo318899.jpg
    photo318899.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo318900.jpg
    photo318900.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dennis197SD

Seaman
Here are 3 pics of the only one ever....the 2nd pic is the left mount and the 3rd is the right mount (from facing engine)

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Wow. That's the first 3 liter I've ever seen with side front mounts. Did not know they made such an animal.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My Bayliner had the Ford 2.3 4 cylinder and it too had side mounts. My Mercruiser 120 had the front mount but I was able to make up some side mounts to attach to the side of the block no problem at all. So I didn’t have to try and use the center mount. Made my templates from wood first then sent my designs to a CNC laser cutting shop. Welded them up and they work led perfect. Lots of adjustment. It’s really not too hard to do.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That would be the first ever that I have encountered as well.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
So I guess it is possible the mounts are already in the correct position for the 4.3 liter. A quick search of mount sizes and placement with confirm it one way or another.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
If I didn't have the side mounts I don't think I would have ever thought twice about doing a swap. I probably would just keep what I had or buy another boat.

Dennis197SD

Seaman
I don't mind remounting them just as long as everything else is close.... Would you suggest taking everything from the donor boat or just the motor?