2004 Mercruiser 6.2 repower

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I think 11k seems very expensive for what I know of prices over there. The merc dealer here can get a complete 350 mpi for about £10000 here delivered from the states. The 6.2 is about £11000 trade.
If he already has the mpi bits and all ancillary parts...would a basic 6.2 block (and maybe manifolds if they are done), not be much cheaper over there ?

boating maniac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So this failure was from lack of changing the manifolds/risers? I thought the dry joint setup was supposed to prevent that?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
So this failure was from lack of changing the manifolds/risers? I thought the dry joint setup was supposed to prevent that?

Serial number is '0M...' That puts the engine at around 20 years old. I would also venture to suggest the exhaust system (manifolds and elbows) are original. The ceramic coating on the dry-joint manifolds and elbows is designed to make them last longer, not indefinitely. I'd say 20 years is a pretty good life in the briny...

Exhaust manifolds and elbows should be checked every 2 or 3 years, and expect to be replacing them at anywhere between 5 and 8 years. And that will also depend on how they were treated during their life. Used in salt and left un-flushed (as most bigger boats are), or flushed after every trip? That'll be the difference between lasting 5 years and lasting 8 years....

Chris.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dry joint manifolds

they were less than 7 years old, having been changed in February of 2013 by the marina. prior to that they were original

the boat is marina rack kept, marina maintained, flushed after every use with the factory flush port, washed, dried etc. then put back on the rack.

and yes, the failure was caused from the dry-joint manifolds failing.

also note, every single drain line of the mercruiser hypercomplexificated raw water system was plugged with sand, rust, debris, shells, etc.

the boat is currently for sale with less than 1/2 hour on the new motor. the replacement will be powered by diesels or a heat exchanged motor, and will most likely not be a Mercruiser.