gas starvation ghost

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
In case you ever run into a fuel starvation issue confirmed to the tank feed before pumping the tank check here.
You will find a fine ,removable, SS screen right here.. Remove the anti-syphon, probe with a thin flexible wire/plastic wire.
If it goes 4 inches and then stops you found it. Brought to you by the same people who put black paint inside the cool fuel pump bodies ,the tube unscrews from the fitting revealing the SS screen , lift out and throw away
s-l300.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
the tube unscrews from the fitting revealing the SS screen , lift out and throw away

Ayuh,...... Any kinda screen in a dip tube is Bullship,......

Too easy to plug, to tough to get too, in many boats,.....

I've built my own with a brass fittin', 'n sweatin' in copper tubin',.....

Good find BD,..... Thank you,.....

Watkinsj

Cadet
Just a quick question and might be a dumb one, for that I apologize ahead of time. I am new to this boating thing and having the same issue. Is this tube you speak of, the filter in the bottom of the gas tank? Or where is this located?

Thank you in advance!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The pickup tube screws into the tank and the hose goes to the fuel pump inlet. Remove the anti-syphon valve and probe the 90 deg fitting with a small flexible item, weed wacker string,etc. If it goes in about 4 inches and stops, you found the hidden filter. Its inside that red box

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
This pic shows a filter mesh but it actually is inside the pickup tube, and the tube will unthread from the fitting

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Putting filters in the feed pipe is just a stupid idea , thats why the large spin on`s were invented. Some early pickups used a "sock" at the end of the tube, some used a 90 deg turn first, then a sock. But his is the first one I found hidden in the tube itself.
Just probe the 90 fitting and see how far the wire goes thru, The Dixie took me almost 3 weeks to get right. Checking everything from shut-offs, anti-syphons, pumping the tank, blowing into the tank, check the electric fuel pump, checking the fuel pump pressures at the carb, pumping the tank with a probe thru the sending unit hole, .Everything pointed to the tank but had no idea what was wrong with it. Over the years the sediment was building up on the screen and finally reached a point where fuel was so restricted the motor quit. Once the pump shut down the debris would settle in the tube until the next start up and clog again..

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
This very thing caused a real issue whilst all out a cruise in bad weather on a friends bayliner 2855 with merc 5.7. Would run for a bit at low rpm. Any throttle would kill it. Wasn’t nice at the time. Towed in to dock. Pulled this out and the mesh was totally clogged. Happened again on way home with the bad weather stirring up more gunk from the tank (further helped by it becoming unstuck from where it had lay for years, when he added fuel treatment...that’s my theory anyway). I cleaned it again and lifted it another couple inches off the bottom of the tank to get us home. Then had to clean the whole tank later. Mesh was float tested shortly after.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the information! Did the restriction hurt the fuel pump?