Another cracked block?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
For future reference, never put JB weld on a crack that could be fixed by electric arc welding. It slows the job down greatly because of the clean up involved in getting all the jb weld removed.
a cast iron or cast steel manifold (or block) can be repaired by electric arc welding but you have to get everything clean prior to welding successfully. I prefer to tig weld this material myself but it can also be stick welded or even braze welded with oxygen/acetylene .

Its a 3.0...... Just replace it (they come in the free boats on CL) They crack on the inside and the outside...... Not worth the effort to clean the block enough to attempt to weld

Joshto

Seaman
Went out boating and forgot to update the thread. Here is the update.

Replaced the engine with a used one. Rented the alignment tool and got the engine aligned (though I had to smack the gimbal bearing a few times as it moved (slightly) horizontally when I pulled out the outdrive. Grease everywhere (sarcasm), and went in fairly smooth.

I've been out to the water at least four times; the first time near the coast :) just in case. Enjoying the boat. :)

PD: I placed an angle bar underneath the engine's front mount. For anyone interested in doing something similar, make sure you get all the dimensions right before drilling the holes and buy a couple of 3/8" U-Nuts (it'll make your life easier). I also slid a piece of rubber pad under the bar to prevent vibration. It does the job perfectly. See the pic.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 0

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
water can also enter bellows via upper vertical shift shaft bushing or drive gasket, but it would have to also push by that square rubber seal that seals the nose of the drive to enter bellows.

Joshto

Seaman
water can also enter bellows via upper vertical shift shaft bushing or drive gasket, but it would have to also push by that square rubber seal that seals the nose of the drive to enter bellows.

Thanks. I replaced the round rubber gasket in the bell-housing, the Water passage o-ring and the outdrive gasket. Inspected the bellow and cleaned up the transom where it meets the bilge. If water gets in again I will know it, hopefully.