2003 bravo 3 prop seal replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross1000

Recruit
New to this site! I have a 2003 crownline with the bravo 3. My inner prop seal is leaking. I’ve ordered the tool to remove the carrier housing so I can remove the seal. Is there anything to be caution of when doing this? My first time to attempt it.

alldodge

Staff member
You need 2 tools to get the prop shafts out
91-805374 Bearing Carrier tool
91-805382 Bearing retainer tool

Note the Carrier comes out by turning clockwise

There is a thrust bearing between the 2 shafts and can be damaged easy

Getting the inner seal out takes some doing, and the special tool makes it easier, but can be done without. Will need a press to get the new seal in

Don't know what year/serial drive you have, but the old type double lip seals were replaced to a single double ended seal which seals better on inner and outer shafts.

New seal part numbers are
1 each Small inner seal 26-8M0033407 (replaces 2 each lip seals)
1 each Large outer seal 26-861694 (replaces 2 each lip seals)
Dimensions 3 - 3/8 OD, 2 - 1/2 ID, 13/16 wide

Assuming you just want to replace the seal, but suggest checking your shaft play before you take it apart to determine if any bearings or shimming need to be done

Ross1000

Recruit
Thank you! My inner seal isn’t leaking as of now! It’s just the large outer seal. I’ll check for the end play. Thanks again for ur help

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the part number for the special tool for the smaller inner seal?

Getting the inner seal out takes some doing, and the special tool makes it easier, but can be done without. Will need a press to get the new seal in

alldodge

Staff member
You wil need this chart to determine how to put 150 and 200 Lb Ft of torque on bearing carrier reinstall

Bearing carrier TQ.JPGBearing retainer Nut TQ.JPG

Last edited:

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What is the part number for the tool to remove the seal between the inner and outer shaft?

91-805358T Seal install tool, Outer
91-862064A1 Carrier seal removal tool
91-805372 Carrier install tool

If you don't have it already you need manual 28

You may need others and can possibly make things to get it done, I did. See my thread below

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...utdrive-repair

Attachments

• photo317055.jpg
    photo317055.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the pic didn't make the trip, but its showing the carrier

seal tool.jpg

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a smaller version of the carrier tool for the outer shaft? Ive tried the outer shaft tool and it does not fit the outer shaft.

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AllDodge take a look at my photo in post 7. The part number you posted is for removing the larger seal inside the carrier.

the red arrow I drew is pointing to the outer prop shaft which fits inside of the carrier. Inside of the outer shaft is the smaller seal that seals between the inner and outer prop shafts. Im looking for tool to remove this smaller seal inside the outer prop shaft.

Last edited:

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking through the bravo manual, it looks like they use a non-specific 3 jaw puller. No special tool avail?

alldodge

Staff member
Your correct, and the last time I did it, looking at the pic I thought it was the removal tool but was not. I didn't have the tool either and my 3 jar slide hammer didn't budge it

alldodge

Staff member
Used a slide hammer puller, it came right out as I remember

Sea Brace

Recruit
I am new to the site, Hi All, I have a 2004 Rinker 262 Captiva w/ Bravo Three bought new, I have never taken off the outdrive or lower unit. I am trying to replace the prop seals, I have bought the tools and have attempted to remove the shaft. Is there anything else that holds the carrier on? I am turning clockwise to remove but does not move. Is there something that could be on, I have used a lot pressure to remove but doesn't budge.

My other issue is It appears the drive lube leak is coming from the lower unit housing, prior to taking off the props, the leak was coming out through the props, I removed the props, when I trimmed down the unit the lube came out of the lower unit housing.

The plan is to take out the prop shaft, if only I can get it off. My breaker bar is starting to route out the 1/2 opening of the removal tool.

Can anyone help me with this, Thanks

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try some heat at the threaded area and remember its a left hand thread

Status
Not open for further replies.