Bravo III Rams sucking air

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been trouble shooting a slow leak down in the drive. I replaced the rams with a another used set and that did not fix the issue, still falls down over the period of a day or so. There is no oil getting past the glands. I also replaced the manifold with a new one. Lines are ok.

I noticed when it bleeds down I can pick the drive up because the is air on that side of the rams. I was thinking there must be a bad o ring in the pump, but how would that allow air in as the drive falls. Is it just pulling enough vacuum to pull air past the gland seals as it falls due to a bad o-ring or check valve?

alldodge

Staff member
I noticed when it bleeds down I can pick the drive up because the is air on that side of the rams

ot real sure, but since your getting air in the cylinders, I see you needing then rebuilt. If it was the pump, there would be no air

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I guess...just confused as to how air is getting in but oil is not getting out. I have never seen a sheen behind the boat either. Plus I replaced the rams already but suppose I could have been really unlucky as they were used..

alldodge

Staff member
I did say there would be no air but thought about it more and guess it could if pump is leaking internally. If you get a 2500 psi gauge, can test the pump to see if it can put out max.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Where would air be able to get into the pump? I had assumed it would simply siphon oil back out of the reservoir if a check valve was bad. I am really struggle to track this leak down for what seems like such a simple system.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like a fun pump to service. I can buy a used one for $250.00 CDN plus shipping so I am thinking that may be my best option