2004 4.3 starboard issue after issue possibly blown head gasket???

Jhunt26

Recruit
Hi all. I am planning on tearing into my engine compartment of my 2004 Chaparral Signature 270 with twin Merc 4.3 mpi with Beavo 3s. Impeller went out on Starboard engine about a month ago but the temp alarm shut it down before it got too hot. I pulled the boat out of its slip to take it for service and had new impellers, and both engines fully serviced. I put it back in the water and idled our past the no wake and once it got it up on plane it started feeling a little sluggish but no alarms. I backed it off an tried to take off again to no better outcome. Popped engine hatch and the belt was shredded about 3/4 through and slapping around on everything. I called the boat yard that serviced it and they came down and put a new one on and blamed it on the belts age, (bull crap). Too much coencidence being it was just removed and put back on a few hours ago. I took it back out the next day and ran it about 20 miles or so and on the way home I got another lag in power followed by a huge steam cloud coming from hatch. It blew a hose coming from the water pump up to the top of engine. Again I call the boat yard and they blame the hose damage on the belt beating it up when it shredded. We replaced that hose and the next trip out it blew the elbow off the exhaust boot. Replaced that and now it trying to build pressure and blow other hoses. Friend thinks it’s head gasket or heads. I build houses and have no mechanical knowledge but am going to start pulling parts in the slip this weekend. And help or diagnosis suggestions would be much appreciated. I’m hoping for simple but prepared for terrible!

alldodge

Staff member
What is one of the motor serial numbers?
Are you open or closed cool?

With this all happening with the same motor I would suggest doing a compression test, starting to sound like a head gasket

Jhunt26

Recruit
I am not sure if the serial numbers. Boat is 90 minutes away. Closed cooling I’m assuming though.

alldodge

Staff member
If the head gasket blew it will force gases into the cooling system and pressure will blow hoses. We need the serial number so we know how your motor is configured. Hope to get it later, but do suggest a compression test, and my guess is there was an over heat bad enough to blow a head gasket

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Yah, closed cooling. Head gasket definitely cause all sorts of afore mentioned issues with your pressurized system. Your mechanic sucks.

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
Is the shredded belt coincidental damage? coz I can't think of how a blown head gasket could cause the belt to reap so badly. Unless of course mechanic did not align it properly

Jhunt26

Recruit
Actually I am thinking that the smoked belt was due to them not reinstalling it correctly after impeller water pump service work. And that situation is potentially what caused the blown gasket

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the serial number

Not backing either outcome, but the timeline is
motor overheated at first time and PCM shut motor down
Impeller changed
motor is sluggish belt shredding
replaced belt motor running fine until 20 miles later when hose burst
replaced hose
Exhaust boot comes off so the motor has gotten so hot that it melted some
Pressure is so great that other hoses may bust/blow off

Do a compression test to verify, but I see the heads are coming off at a minimum

Pull all spark plugs and label each wire. Flip the kill switch (man overboard) to keep motor from starting
Move throttle to WOT and one by one install compression gauge and crank motor over at least 4 turns for each test, and record pressure. Your looking for cylinders under 140 psi