Recommened fuel?

AeroNautical

Cadet
I was curious what type of fuel is recommended for a Mercruiser 3.7L 4cyl. The boat is a 1985 but I am unsure of the motor year and how many hours. I have put in fresh plugs, full distributor tune up kit, coil, oil and filter, carb and fuel pump rebuild. I'm hoping to put it in the water soon to finalize tuning the motor and was curious what octane fuel is recommended and any additional additives if required. Reasons why would be helpful too if they're known.

Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
87 octane regular
You can use high octane stuff but that doesn't help, and only hurts your wallet

Kola16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Use stabilizer with whatever gas you put in. Any name brand stabilizer will work with the most common being the blue bottle of Stabil 360. You do not want ethanol gas to sit for too long without stabilizer. Also buy gas from name brand stations (not marinas where they do not have the money to clean their tanks regularly).

There are good advantages to using ethanol-free gas. Your motor will run more efficiently and your fuel will not absorb moisture like ethanol does. Motors also run longer on ethanol-free gas cause ethanol causes decreased lubricity. A boat motor will most likely see a different problem before problems by ethanol friction though.

If you have the money, use ethanol-free gas for higher efficiency and less moisture in your fuel.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was curious what type of fuel is recommended for a Mercruiser 3.7L 4cyl. The boat is a 1985 but I am unsure of the motor year and how many hours. I have put in fresh plugs, full distributor tune up kit, coil, oil and filter, carb and fuel pump rebuild. I'm hoping to put it in the water soon to finalize tuning the motor and was curious what octane fuel is recommended and any additional additives if required. Reasons why would be helpful too if they're known.

Thanks in advance!

three questions

first - why would you buy a boat with a 470?
second - why would you change the coil?
third - you did read up on the problems common to the 470 prior to buying it.....didnt you?

any pump gas has a life span of about 6 months (unless you believe the sonoco hype of 12 months - that is completely sealed in a cool environment)

stabilizers only add a few months. to me, not worth the money. any other additive such as sea foam is pure snake oil.

run any fuel you want between E0 and E10

any higher octane over 87 simply empties your wallet faster.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
in Canada we have to run supreme to avoid ethanol. If you use your boat frequently you might get away with regular, but the ethanol will phase separate if it is allowed to sit in the tank too long, which will cause problems with your whole fuel system.
Phase-Separation-483x500.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
in Canada we have to run supreme to avoid ethanol. If you use your boat frequently you might get away with regular, but the ethanol will phase separate if it is allowed to sit in the tank too long, which will cause problems with your whole fuel system.
Phase-Separation-483x500.jpg

so dont let the fuel sit.

phase separation happens in 14 days without any movement. (there is an SAE test for plastic fuel tanks where it is required to leave the fuel phase separate, then bring the temp down to freezing and smash the tank with a weight)

however the act of moving the fuel (such as trailering down the road) is usually enough to prevent phase separation.

rock doc

Petty Officer 1st Class
At least locally it is the water condensation on the inside of the tank that eventually will introduce enough water (it only takes a small amount) to bond with the ethanol and cause separation.
Here is an interesting video. Not sure about the product, but it illustrates the effect nonetheless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeCyFxoWPpo

I agree most engines don't benefit from high octane - the issue is the Ethanol is hydrophilic. It will actually absorb water directly from moist air. Once water bonds with ethanol it forms an azeotropic mixture that cannot be broken down without drying agents that have a higher affinity for water than ethanol. I believe this is how some of the fuel additives work - the problem is it takes a large volume of additive to remove even a liter of water. Pure gas consists mainly of hydrophobic compounds.so it is typically less of an issue, but water condensation on the inside of the tank walls esp. when partially full will eventually cause an issue given enough time. I also worry when I use a pressure washer around the tank vent.

I am not an expert, but suspect agitating gasoline with ethanol actually makes this issue worse because it speeds up the kinetics for water absorption. The only way to prevent it is to burn it before enough water accumulates in the tank to cause phase separation. Ethanol can pull through small amounts of water, allowing it to be safely burned. If you are planing to burn the pumped fuel immediately you can probably get away with an ethanol blend in your boat if you are confident that there is no water in your fuel tank. If your boat sits with ethanol in it you are taking a big chance.