Mercruiser 5.7 oil capacity conundrum

Acmx

Recruit
Hello all, first post on any type of forum here. I have twin 1996 era Mercruiser 5.7 MCM LX engines, one appears to be a newer mercruiser short block. From what I can gather through google search the oil capacity should be between 5.2-5.7 L. My problem is with both engines having identical dipsticks they read full with about 4.5 L of oil added each. Oil pressure is fine running with this quantity, my question is are there different oil pan options? Or do I not have the engines I think I do. Thanks in advance for any help.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Capacity includes the oil filter, and from dry empty...

Chris...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you will never get all the oil out in a boat unless you have the remote oil drain.

achris

you will never get all the oil out in a boat unless you have the remote oil drain.

Ummmm. Not true... Way back when... I was pulling my engine on a daily basis :facepalm: Some of you may remember my sump/timing cover issues, about 10 years ago. Before I'd pull the engine, I'd suck the oil out through the dipstick. I was curious to see just how much was left behind. I was very (and pleasantly) surprised that the oil left in the sump was less than was removable by pulling the drain plug...

Chris........

Acmx

Recruit
I did the same thing Chris last fall, pulled the drain plugs after sucking oil through dipstick tube. Only a couple hundred mL came out. Does anyone know the part number of the dipstick for my engine?

achris

If you have a serial number for your engine it's easy to look up. Without a serial number, people will only be guessing. They might be right, they might be wrong.... Serial number please...

Chris......

Acmx

Recruit
These are the numbers from the plastic cover above the flame arrestor,
0F879820
0F879815

achris

These are the numbers from the plastic cover above the flame arrestor,
0F879820
0F879815

It's a good idea to post these, and the drive serial numbers too, in the first post of any new thread you start. Saves have to ask for them, and then they are always in the first post. Or, do as many of have done, put them in your forum signature file and have them on each post you make. Makes life considerably easier for the people trying to answer your questions. ;)

Cheers....