Engine removal

2kvert

Seaman
I'm sure this is covered in here somewhere.
searching on my phone doesn't work well.
1996 4.3 alpha 1
If my lower unit is out it looks like only a few bolts and connections to pull the motor.
but how is the engine coupled to the drive?
Does that stay in the boat?
Do I just pull the vertical bolts leaving the belhousing on the engine?

alldodge

Staff member
To use Bondo statement Ahhhh not sure I'm understanding what your saying, so clear it up if need be
I really have no clear idea of what your asking

If my lower unit is out

The drive has been removed from the boat "It is not attached"

but how is the engine coupled to the drive?

Thru the engine coupler, and the drive shaft connectes to the motor thru the gimbal bearing and into the coupler

Does that stay in the boat?

What is "that" which stays with the boat? The drive has been removed

Do I just pull the vertical bolts leaving the belhousing on the engine?

There are 4 points that fasten the motor to the boat. Two rear motor mounts and two front mounts (V6, V8) and they are vertical

2kvert

Seaman
Sorry I don't know the proper terms, I've pulled the lower unit. I am uncertain about whatever is between the engine and the gimbal housing .
wanted to be sure that I don't have to take anything off of the boat. What connects the engine to the coupler? The coupler and whatever it is housed in can stay in the boat I believe. That is what I wanted to clarify.
And thank you all for your patience and advice. I promise I'm not inept. I've built several engines and worked on my own stuff my whole life but this marine stuff is new to me. Once this engine is out and on my stand I'll be fine

Rick Stephens

Admiral
A 'lower unit' is usually how we describe the bottom half of the outdrive. If you pulled the outdrive itself, that just requires 6 bolts and the trim pin, then you will have seen the drive shaft come out as well. It has a splined end that inserts into the coupler which is bolted to the flywheel.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry I don't know the proper terms, I've pulled the lower unit. I am uncertain about whatever is between the engine and the gimbal housing .
wanted to be sure that I don't have to take anything off of the boat. What connects the engine to the coupler? The coupler and whatever it is housed in can stay in the boat I believe. That is what I wanted to clarify.
And thank you all for your patience and advice. I promise I'm not inept. I've built several engines and worked on my own stuff my whole life but this marine stuff is new to me. Once this engine is out and on my stand I'll be fine

If you removed the drive, then your clear to remove the motor, once the mounting bolts are removed (4 each) and the gas, and cables are removed

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am uncertain about whatever is between the engine and the gimbal housing .

The rear of the engine has a special flywheel housing that has two large mounting holes. This is where those large vertical bolts go through. They sit on top of mounting holes on the inner transom plate. This configuration - flywheel housing sitting on the inner transom plate - is what supports the rear weight of the engine. Together with the front engine mounts, all of the weight of the engine is accounted for. So if you remove all four of these points, you'll be well on your way to removing the engine.

The engine coupler is bolted on to the engine flywheel. It does not need to be removed or touched at all. What stays in the boat is the inner transom plate (with steering connected as well).

Marine I/O engines are known as "bobtails" because they don't have transmissions on them. They abruptly "end" with a coupler with female splines. You removed the sterndrive, which had the male splines. This is the point at which you effectively detached the engine from the outer transom assembly. Now all you need to do is remove those two large vertical bolts to remove the engine from the inner transom plate.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Nothing. At the back of the engine is the coupler, bolted to the flywheel. Inside the gimbal housing is the gimbal bearing. Until the COMPLETE drive is fitted, there is nothing connecting the coupler (and engine) to the gimbal housing.

Here's how to remove the drive... http://youtu.be/w3O63YTOhn8

wanted to be sure that I don't have to take anything off of the boat.

Only the drive. Once that's off, you are clear to remove the mounting bolts (and small items like battery leads, control cables, fuel line and instrument harness) and lift the engine up.

What connects the engine to the coupler?

Depending on the era, either the six flywheel studs or 3 screws around the edges of the flywheel.

The coupler and whatever it is housed in can stay in the boat I believe.

No, the coupler and flywheel housing come out with the engine.

That is what I wanted to clarify.

Chris........