Thunderbolt IV problems, will not run above idle when hot!

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Thunderbolt IV ignition, 1987 V8 5.7L. After cruising for 20 minuets or so, it bogs down. Idles fine, but wont go above 1200 RPM. After I shut the engine down and let it cool, it runs fine. I'm convinced its in the ignition system, notably the TB module (box on the exhaust manifold), but I want to be sure. At the start of the season I replaced the cap and rotor, replaced the original pick-up-no problems with the old system, just wanted to replace after 10 seasons. After problems started I checked all my work, spark plug/wires changed fuel/water separator. Changed the coil also
Other things to note--Tachometer drops to almost zero when engines starts to stumble when increasing throttle. Also, voltage gauge drops when RPM's increase as if there is a large draw-replaced alternator and still have a voltage drop.
Fuel system is in good shape.
I would like to go with a one wire, new distributor/ignition system upgrade--any recommendations??
Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Thanks, Chris

alldodge

Staff member
After cruising for 20 minuets or so, it bogs down

When it does this have you opened the gas cap and listen for air rushing in?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Throw a timing light on a spark plug lead and CONFIRM you are losing spark.

Chris.......

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Problem solved---Long story short, I put back the old magnetic pick-up in the distributor since I know it worked good. All issues disappeared!