How’s This Oil Look - First Drain After Fresh Build

carrera205

Seaman Apprentice
I finished up my first 5.7 votec build and after doing the break in period and running it around the lake for 20 minutes I took it home and drained the oil to replace it with a fresh batch. The engine sounded great during the run but I’d love any impressions on my oil. It’s super nerve racking to drop all the money and then fire it up hoping not to break anything!

Attachments

• photo316769.jpg
    photo316769.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Does not appear to be any metal only black carbon, so I don't see an issue. Have a little blow by which is normal while seating the rings, and also anything (dust, gasket debris or other) that was on surfaces the oil is washing into the pan

carrera205

Seaman Apprentice
AllDodge thanks for the input! What is blow by? Thanks for all your help and everyone else getting this boat back together and working out the ghosts would be much more difficult without this community!

alldodge

Staff member
Blow by is where the piston rings do not seal 100% (and never will), and combustion gases pass the ring during the power stroke and gases enter the engine block. Those contaminants get in the oil and the filter would catch them prior to getting to bearings

While I'm not overly concerned, but 20 minutes is a very short time. Give it at least 10 to 20 hours then check

scoflaw

Ensign
Too dark for 20 minutes, probably running pig rich. Hope you didn't gas wash the rings

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The oil will get a but dark as the parts wear in. I'm a fan of changing the oil after an hour of run in. Get any containments out early. Heck, I even change out the oil on a new lawn mower after the first cutting.