1980 Century 190 with 898 mercruiser v8 won’t start, but has before.

Ce2424

Recruit
So I have a 1980 century 190 with a 898 V8 that I recently acquired. So I went out to the lake and it was turning over and boom click it stopped turning over. And I waited a while and the power came back to the dash but as soon as I turn the key it clicks again and I no longer have power. I took my voltmeter and it has powerTo the ignition but when you turn the key it loses power. When I have the key off it has 12 V to both sides of the circuit breaker but when I turn the key on it loses power to both. I also checked the power to the solenoid that is connected to the starter and it also has 12 V but when you turn the key it loses power. Hey to the ignition but when you turn the key it loses power. When I have the key off it has 12 V to both sides of the circuit breaker but when I turn the key on it loses power to both. I also checked the power to the solenoid that is connected to the starter and it also has 12 V but when you turn the key it loses power. Is there anyway I can run just random jumper wires back to the starter to see if I can get it to turn on which would help narrow down which wire could be causing a short?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. Either one of the red leads from the battery, through the battery switch, to the starter motor terminal, or a bad negative.

Remove each of the power cables, reds and blacks, and clean them and what they connect to, to shiny bright... Don't forget the engine block negative as well...

Chris...