Mercruiser 260 bogging upon acceleration

rickorico

Recruit
1981 SeaRay Sundancer with 260 Mercruiser is having issue with bogging. At the end of last year it would idle without problem but would bog down as soon as I tried to accelerate. Initially it didn't do this until the boat had been running for a while. Now it does it as soon as we start her up while the engine is cold. She starts up without problem and idles OK but as soon as I give her gas she bogs right down. If I am out for a while she will start stalling but starts right back up. I have replaced the vacuum valve on the gas tank. There is no water in the gas separator. It was tuned up 2 years ago. Tried gum out in the carburator without any noticible difference. Any suggesitons?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
1981 SeaRay Sundancer with 260 Mercruiser is having issue with bogging. At the end of last year it would idle without problem but would bog down as soon as I tried to accelerate. Initially it didn't do this until the boat had been running for a while. Now it does it as soon as we start her up while the engine is cold. She starts up without problem and idles OK but as soon as I give her gas she bogs right down. If I am out for a while she will start stalling but starts right back up. I have replaced the vacuum valve on the gas tank. There is no water in the gas separator. It was tuned up 2 years ago. Tried gum out in the carburator without any noticible difference. Any suggesitons?

Hello rickorico and :welcome: to iboats.

Your symptoms suggest the carburetor is becoming clogged, and in desperate need of a strip and clean out/rebuild...

You also said that the engine was 'tuned' 2 years ago. Service and tune are an ANNUAL service requirement. Being 1981, this engine has points :)puke:) which need to be replaced and the engine tuned every year... As does an oil and filter change, and these are only the start of maintenance. There is also the small matter of the stern drive water pump impeller and the drive oil, and the uni and gimbal bearing service, and an engine alignment check (and adjust if required). There are many service items I haven't mentioned, and as the boat/trailer/engine get older, that list grows.

Boats are not 'leave it and ignore it' machines. Just because they aren't being used doesn't put them into a temporal void. Time may heal all wounds, but it wrecks havoc on machinery.

Chris.........

rickorico

Recruit
Thank you for your input. I plan to have a mercruiser mechanic check is out. I was hoping it was something I could take care of myself since it will be weeks before someone can look at it and my boat is sitting at the dock idle. Happy boating!