Twin engine 5.7 maxed out at 3600rpm

OnSiteEquipment

Recruit
Hello all, new to the forum.
Twin engine boats are new to me so this is where I found I need help.
The boat is a 88 Nova Spyder 26ft twin 350 alpha 1 gen 1 drives with 23 pitch marage props.
I got the boat with two cracked engines. One I replaced with a low mileage truck/rv engine and swapped all the marine components over. The other has been, to this point so far, successfully expoxied. Both engines have been out of the boat. Drives got new oil pumps and bellows.

The problem: both engines are synced within 200rpm of each at any throttle position, planes off instantly and shoots out of the hole, but at 45mph it reaches 3600 rpm and holds it. Nearly on the dot.

What I know:
Good ignition, timing advance working as it should, base timing set to 8* btdc in both
Props are sized correctly to the boat 14 5/8x23, wellcraft forums highly recommend the marage 23 on this Hull
New intake gaskets on both engines.
Rpms varied via external tach on timing gun.
Secondaries are mechanically opening, (Weber carbs I believe) vacuum seems to hold the upper air flap closed on the secondaries, which from my understanding has counter weights and air flow opens them, they move freely.
Both engines have vr1 racing oil straight 50w
Compression on both engines is between 150-160psi with the exception of one cylinder on the new engine at 140psi.
The engines both start easy, run smoothly at idle as well under load.

The only thing that tells me there is a problem is experience, this boat should do 60mph and be turning mid 4000s rpm.
I could of sworn the new engine for the first few minutes on the water would do more rpm, and would need less throttle then the other engine to maintain same rpm, but now here we are that both are behaving the exact same, so I know the problem is shared between them.

Thoughts??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hello all, new to the forum.
Twin engine boats are new to me so this is where I found I need help.
The boat is a 88 Nova Spyder 26ft twin 350 alpha 1 gen 1 drives with 23 pitch marage props.
I got the boat with two cracked engines. One I replaced with a low mileage truck/rv engine and swapped all the marine components over. The other has been, to this point so far, successfully expoxied. Both engines have been out of the boat. Drives got new oil pumps and bellows.

??? Alphas don't have oil pumps.

The problem: both engines are synced within 200rpm of each at any throttle position, planes off instantly and shoots out of the hole, but at 45mph it reaches 3600 rpm and holds it. Nearly on the dot.

My prop calculator says those numbers are right in that you're not getting excess slip. And also, at 4500rpm the boat should be up around 48knots.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop1.png Views:	1 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	10769299
Click image for larger version  Name:	Prop2.png Views:	1 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	10769300

What I know:
Good ignition, timing advance working as it should, base timing set to 8* btdc in both
Props are sized correctly to the boat 14 5/8x23, wellcraft forums highly recommend the marage 23 on this Hull
New intake gaskets on both engines.
Rpms varied via external tach on timing gun.
Secondaries are mechanically opening, (Weber carbs I believe) vacuum seems to hold the upper air flap closed on the secondaries, which from my understanding has counter weights and air flow opens them, they move freely.
Both engines have vr1 racing oil straight 50w

Woah! WAY too thick... Merc manual calls out straight weight 30 oil, or 20W40 multi... Straight weight 50 is much much too heavy. You don't need anything 'racing' on these engines. They are very mildly tuned Chevy 350s, never turning beyond 5,000rpm. You don't need high volume oil pumps, 'racing' oil or anything else that is needed on an engine spinning to 7,000+.... It's a truck engine! (hopefully you took the cam from the busted engine and put it in the new block)... It's designed to make power at LOW revs and have a flat torque curve, as a boat needs.

Compression on both engines is between 150-160psi with the exception of one cylinder on the new engine at 140psi.
The engines both start easy, run smoothly at idle as well under load.

The only thing that tells me there is a problem is experience, this boat should do 60mph and be turning mid 4000s rpm.
I could of sworn the new engine for the first few minutes on the water would do more rpm, and would need less throttle then the other engine to maintain same rpm, but now here we are that both are behaving the exact same, so I know the problem is shared between them.

Thoughts??

How's the bottom of the hull? If it's got any growth at all on it, you'll get that sort of added drag. Friend's boat (6m, 180hp engine) was in the water 7 weeks, and went from 41 knots top speed to barely able to make 30....

Chris.......

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the stickies for the list of causes of low WOT

OnSiteEquipment

Recruit
Sorry the oil and pumps should have a common between them, it was late. I have thicker oil in them now due to the water contamination. Yes the new engine didn't need that but it was on hand. It's going to be drained and replaced. But shouldn't drag an engine down 1000rpm
ive seen the sticky many times troubleshooting other boats. It doesn't account for human error and some other things, that's why I wanted to brainstorm.
48 knots sounds right. I've been on one that did 60mph with 21 pitch I don't know what they were doing different
I should ad the fuel is fresh, also the boat lives on a trailer and just had the hull wet sanded and buff

OnSiteEquipment

Recruit
Well I was out on it today with help and completely forgot to check the primaries, but I think it's another fuel delivery issue. The starboard side engine wasn't keeping up to. At one point they were both matched at 1500rpm coming away from shore and it sputter and dropped to 1000.

I was able to get the boat up to 52mph and 4400rpm on the port and 4000rpm in the starboard by trimming up, per advice of my friend describing it as "flying the boat"
​​​​​I've never had a boat that behaved that way so it's a first