First day on water after 4 years on Friday - precautions? 1985 Citation

328ifun

Seaman Apprentice
Is there anything else I need to check? My only concern now is the condition of the transom, since the boat sat for awhile in the rain I'm worried about it being rotted. It was fine the last time I took it out but I found the water in the storage compartment on the floor of the boat. The section inside of it (flooring) has rotted so I'm hoping water hasn't entered the inside of the boat.

Do you all recommend sealing the compartment off since its rotted, it has a wood covering over it right now? I'm going to get some 3M 5200 and reseal the sensors and screws that hold the swim deck on the back of the boat as additional transom precaution.

I've replaced:
ujoint bellows
exhaust bellows
water line
water gasket
gimbal bearing
shift cable/bellows
points/plugs/ign cables
Fresh engine oil
Fresh gear oil
new battery
Fresh gas
Impellar and gaskets

Everything looked fine on Muffs and boat starts and stops as it should, shift cable is aligned correctly

Anything else?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Is this a 3 litre, or a 454, or something in between? And what drive, TRS, Alpha One, something else?

Please Read This Before Posting...-> How to Ask a Question....

Chris
iboats Mod team.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I don't see capacitor (condenser) and rotor on that list. They are ANNUAL change items.

And if it's 4 years since the last start, I'd be replacing the distributor cap, stripping the carb and fuel pump too, and cleaning out all the lines.

Chris.....

328ifun

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Chris,

I've replaced all of the ign parts including the capacitor and cap.

I didn't clean the carb or install a new fuel pump... But I did drain all of the old gas completely and ran cleaner through the system.

I've been doing some posting over at thehulltruth about the ski locker being rotted towards the rear (sub floor)

some guys are telling me that boat is basically done, while others are telling that the stringers are coated in fiberglass and that the boat should be okay. Engine and sterndrive ran great on muffs for quite a while yesterday, no hiccups

I haven't found any major cracks on the hull or transom. We're going out tomorrow so I'll let you all know if we sink :). I'm a bit nervous though