Trim setting procedure

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a post from a while back (think it was from chrisa) on the procedures for setting the trim on an Alpha one Gen 2. It had these two pages. I'm stuck on the first step :facepalm: . It says "rotate the sender until the needle is at the bottom of the arc". Does that mean using the control on the shifter/throttle (I'm guessing it must, because there really is no other way)? When I try to trim down, nothing happens. I have both the trim limit switches off the outdrive right now. Could it be that they are set in the down position already, which is why when I trim down, nothing happens?

Attachments

• photo316556.png
    photo316556.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo316557.png
    photo316557.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 0

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I'm catching on...just a little! I now realize that on the starboard side is the trim sender and the port side is the trim limit. I'll read some more threads about this.

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Things have become much clearer (not complete) and I better understand how the Limit and Sender work together. I should be able to reassemble/set them now.

However, one question. The outdrive is currently ALMOST in the full down position. As both the limit and sender units are off, can I just rotate the limit switch a little (so that it is not at the limit) then use the control on the shifter to put the drive fully down? Can I go too far and bugger things up?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
limit switch does not control the down circuit, only the up circuit
If the drive is not going down when you hit the down button/switch you have another problem
With the drive all the way down, align the index mark and install the limit switch, rotate to adjust the "up" limit travel.
Once that has been reached the trailer button takes over

Last edited:

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks BT.
Dang!!! The trim up works but the trim down only makes a click sound.
Looking at the manual, indicates a bad connection or bad solenoid. heading off to test it after lunch.

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yup, dead solenoid.
I think I'll replace both while I'm at it. Also the fuse, as it looks nasty!
I think this is the part number for the solenoid: 89-96158T
And this is the fuse: 88-79023T10
Would someone mind confirming these for me?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Yup, dead solenoid....

If you pry it open, you'll likely find the contact surfaces on the plunger are badly pitted and carbonised from arcing. Here's a solution to that problem....

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...or-longer-life

Also, there is NO relationship between the limit switch and the gauge sender. You can have either without the other... The gauge and the trim pump are in no way connected, at all....

The limit switch ONLY has an effect on the UP circuit.

And they are set independently of each other. One does not affect the other. Doesn't matter which you adjust first. Once one is set, any adjustment of the other has NO effect on it. Conversely, you can't change one hoping to affect the other.... Completely independent.

Chris.......

Last edited:

Merccoper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the additional info Chris.

I (think) I'm almost ready to get on the water. (although I still have a bilge pump issue :grumpy: but that is the next diagnostic once the trim is set)

Can you/someone please confirm if steps 15 c and d are a two person job? One person to push the trim button up/out while the other person turns the limit switch until cylinder is the correct length.
Thanks.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You could do it using a multimeter... Set the drive at the correct height (ram extended the prescribed length), have the limit switch disconnected and a multimeter set to 'buzzer' (diode check), and turn the limit switch until it is just at the point of contact and no contact.... Tighten the screws... Reconnect the switch to the harness...

Chris....