Where to buy engine parts

2kvert

Seaman
Ok still chasing my knocking sound. I'm suspecting the balance shaft and or it's drove gear. How do you know which parts you can use non marine parts for? Parts for the same year 4.3 at abparts store are 3 to 5 times less than from mercruiser. They're prices are absurd.
i plan to replace the rear bearing and drive gears for starters
TIA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first....slow down

you have to know what you have, and in a boat that many times requires looking at casting numbers

what year besides post 1992 (because that was first year of balance shaft)

the block and heads are basic GM truck stuff

the mercruiser stuff is what is bolted to the outside of the GM motor

so if you need timing products, look up appropriate year TRUCK parts. go with Melling for timing components from your local parts supplier (its who supplies GM)

go with Cloyes bearings, preferably the coated bearings

some light reading covering most (not all ) 4.3 stiff

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...history-of-the-4-3-liter-with-casting-numbers

2kvert

Seaman
Perfect. That's what I was hoping for. Mine is a 96. 8 bolt intake. I've removed intake , accessories timing and balance shaft gears. Shapt looks fine but was deffinate back and forth play in the drive gears or the hole that goes over the pin in the cam. Thought new gears and bearings would be a good place to start before I pull the whole engine.

Bondo

Staff member
first....slow down

the block and heads are basic GM truck stuff

the mercruiser stuff is what is bolted to the outside of the GM motor

Ayuh,.... What Scott says,......

Identify the broken parts, 1st,..... then order accordin'ly,....

2kvert

Seaman
Haven't found anything broken. If the noise isn't coming from the shaft then it has to be inside, I piston slap, or wrist pin maybe, I figured I can eliminate the balance shaft as the culprit with minimal work compared to pulling the engine. Worst case, I waste a couple afternoons and some intake and timing cover gaskets.
fingers crossed