gimbal housing shift cable thread repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Working on the procedure to repair the stripped shift cable threads in the gimbal housing.
Maybe a sticky ? Will keep this undated

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... I'll be watchin',....... ;)

The usual fix is a new housing,..??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
My personal boat so ,NO The new sleeve tapped 1/4 x 18 OD is .616 and the hole in the housing will be .609
pressfit W Red loc-tite. Dont see a problem yet

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Here you go 39/64 drill bit ..6094 , 1/4 inch pipe coupling, 1/4 x 18 NPSF tap , Red Loc-Tite.
With 1 hex machined off, the O.D of the sleeve is .619 leaving a .010 press fit. Once installed tap it thru if preferred but only a 5/8ths depth is needed for the shift cable threads
If needed PM me if you want it done

The new coupling
DSCN4596.jpg

After some machining
DSCN4597.jpg

Installed
DSCN4600.jpg

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
As luck would have it, a customer stripped his this morning. Called to see how much a new housing was and told him how much to fix his . He went with the repair and I installed my second one.When it bottoms out on the inside hex the depth is perfect. Going to wait 24 hrs for the Red Loc-Tite to cure then retap the threads
PM me to know the charge

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Great solution, but would you not be better off using one of these?

bushing.PNG

I'd be happier seeing the threaded solution than a 'press fit'...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Mike the thread OD and you might find it a bit to large to drill and tap the housing for that size. The pic looks like there more room that what really exists to drill that large . Guessing thats a 3/8ths pipe or 1/2 pipe thread. Plus you left with the hex inside the housing. That would prevent the shift cable from bottoming out

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Spin it in from the front, and allow the shift cable to bottom out on the back of the bell housing, as designed... But I take your point of the amount of meat available to tap out to 3/8"

Chris

wdpunkarii

Recruit
Here you go 39/64 drill bit ..6094 , 1/4 inch pipe coupling, 1/4 x 18 NPSF tap , Red Loc-Tite.
With 1 hex machined off, the O.D of the sleeve is .619 leaving a .010 press fit. Once installed tap it thru if preferred but only a 5/8ths depth is needed for the shift cable threads
If needed PM me if you want it done

The new coupling
DSCN4596.jpg

After some machining
DSCN4597.jpg

Installed
DSCN4600.jpg
is that flush with the gimbal? does the cable thread all the way in or is there a certain depth the cable nut must sit at?

tpenfield

Staff member
@wdpunkarii
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Please don't post to threads that have been dormant for over 90 days as per the forum rules. Feel free to start a new thread with your relevant issue and information.

Status
Not open for further replies.