Mercruiser Fuel Filter Hose Connection

Mzakos1

Recruit
I have a 1987 Four Winns Horizon 170 with a Mercruiser 4 cylinder engine. I noticed a hose from the fuel pump that is disconnected. I think it connects on the other end to a connection just under the flame arrestor on the side of the top of the carb. What is confusing me is I tried to reconnect it and I found that it's too short, which makes me question if it actually should be connected to that nipple (pics attached). Can anyone please help with this issue? Can the hose have shrunk 2 inches while the boat was stored for 2 years, or does it go somewhere else.

Thank you!

Attachments

• photo316422.jpg
    photo316422.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo316423.jpg
    photo316423.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the clear tygon line is the tell-tale for the fuel pump

if there is fuel in the line, then the fuel pump diaphragm has ruptured

it goes from the fuel pump vent to the spark arrestor so that if the fuel pump fails, the fuel bypassing the diaphragm goes to the carb and floods the motor so the motor runs like crap and you stop and look vs dumping fuel in the bilge and causing your boat to blow up and forcing you to meet Jesus and St Peter

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
called a "tell-Tale" shows if you have a ruptured diaphram in the fuel pump, directs the fuel up to the carb instead of down to the bilge. TyGon tubing, available at any lawnmower shop

Alumarine

Captain
That hose should run from the fuel pump to that nipple on the carb.
Maybe the hose used to be routed a different way?
In any case, that hose should be clear enough so you can see if fuel is ever in it.
If you do see fuel in it that means the fuel pump diaphram is damaged and needs to be repaired asap/immediately.

kenny nunez

Captain
Take a piece of it to a lawnmower shop, they usually have it in various sizes, the same Tygon style is used on weed eaters

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its either 3/16" or 1/4" (5mm or 6mm)